Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Hot Pot thermos

Panders

Just wondered, we now have two children bringing these in, they are stainless steel wide necked thermos flasks. One brings in cold soup - the other brought in spaghetti bol today. When mum picked up, she said she knew there was a trend for these at a local school her older child went to, but was concerned about having meat in the thermos, could it be a breeding ground for bacteria? I have to say I don't really know, but having been on Food Safety courses in the past when we are told food has to be at a certain temperature etc., it has made me wonder whether the spag bol would have been safe today. Before I hit the books/internet, anyone know??

Hi

We had children bringing in these last year and I emailed our food safety officer at the council. I've tried to copy and paste the email but can't! Basically it is up to the parents to ensure food safety not you. All you can do is stress that the food needs to be maintained at 63 for the morning period and that the food is piping hot and poured straight into the flask after cooking. I used to do this in a news letter along with provide a cool packed for sandwiches / cold lunches.

The food safety officer at the council was really helpful.

Hi

We had children bringing in these last year and I emailed our food safety officer at the council. I've tried to copy and paste the email but can't! Basically it is up to the parents to ensure food safety not you. All you can do is stress that the food needs to be maintained at 63 for the morning period and that the food is piping hot and poured straight into the flask after cooking. I used to do this in a news letter along with provide a cool packed for sandwiches / cold lunches.

The food safety officer at the council was really helpful.

Thank you, I had come to that conclusion too after trawling through "stuff" - will talk to mum tomorrow and make sure that the heated food is put straight into the flask. I will mention the temperature too, but without a probe at home, how is she going to know? We don't have a probe, maybe we should have one to check it on arrival! and then at lunch time.

But if you open the flask on arrival will this not cause the flask to loose heat? Also are you then taking on the responsibility of the food?

Like desiel, we have been advised by our EHO that we must emphasise to parents that it is their responibitly to provide a safe lunch and not ours, she explained that if we started to intervene- then the responsibity becomes ours.

We do not heat food either, and personally I wouldn't allow the heated flasks.

I have one myself though- and my soup is still 'burn you mouth hot' at 1'c and I make it at 7.15am .... Interestingly though (and I'm sure there must be some science behind this) it only stays that hot if it's been heated on the hob, when heated in the microwave its luke warm by lunchtime.

My older daughter uses one of these when she's at the stables for the day and, as long as we preheat the flask with boiling water and the food is piping hot (we do microwave it) when it goes in, it's still hot enough to burn your mouth 6 hours later so no concerns here.

Actually, I'd worry more about keeping the children safe from scalds as food isn't usually served to young children that hot.

Thank you for your input.Spoke to mum this morning, she said there were no instructions with the thermos (which I thought was bad really). #

She readily accepted that she was responsible for what was inside, that I shouldn't check it on arrival, but agreed I should assist to open it. Today she said she didnt put any meat in it, just pasta in a tomato sauce.

We also spoke about lots of hot soapy water to clean the flask afterwards, but with this family I wouldn't really worry about her doing that anyway, and to heat the food and put it straight into the flask.

For the present time I am happy for them to use them.

Edited by Panders