Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

charitable incorporated organisation

Hi folk, well I think I'm going to throw sanity out the window and we'll change the structure and I'll become a charitable trustee of playgroup. The hope is this will add some security to the setting. Can anyone who's already done this give any advice? Also do you know if a member of staff can even be a trustee?

Oh, meant to say we're looking at becoming a CIO with a foundation model constitution.

Thank you all for your input x x x

Isn't your chair liable until replaced no matter where they're living?

Yes, it's possible and seems straight forward. The pla do a booklet about it

https://shop.pre-school.org.uk/A122/charity-essentials

And there's quite a lot of information on the charity commission website. Our local authority have said they'd support us through the process. You need a minimum of three trustees then you follow the instructions in your constitution on how to dissolve.

Edited by suebear

• 2 weeks later...

Im relatively new to posting here, but wanted to chip in - we are holding our EGM next week to get parent permission to convert to CIO. Its pretty straightforward in my head now (we've been looking into this since before last summer!), so I'll let you know if it is actually straightforward in real life!

We became an incorporated company with charitable status back in 2011, and we did it all ourselves, except for some guidance from PSLA. I can't say it was was always easy, but we got there in the end, and felt quite proud of our achievements.

We too had limited funds. Solicitors might be willing to discount if you are going down the charity status route. Good luck with whatever you decide.:)

Hi cvdbout, I'm definitely interested in hearing more. How did you decide on your trustees and I'm curious if you're using committee or staff members too?

The trustees of the CIO are the current trustees of the unincorporated charity, minus one who will be leaving. Luckily, everyone on the committee at the moment all have young babies so will be around for a few years! No staff will be voted in as trustees.

We're converting not because of a problem with numbers - we have 8 at the moment, lowest we've been is 5 - but more to do with the fact we've had issues in the past with Chairpersons only taking the job because they were threatened with closure, and it all started after a previous Chair died very suddenly. We want to take away that threat of closure permanently - noone wants to be Chair, and the staff need some more security in their job.

As for solicitors, we will only be needing one to amend our lease to transfer our premises from the holding trustees to the new charity. We have a large contingency so costs luckily aren't a concern at the moment.

We have a copy of the PLA book Charity Essentials which has a fairly comprehensive downloadable section on CIOs, so we're following that.

Edited by cvdbout

We were a charity then charity with I cooperated status. Cost us around £2/300 to change over. We then transferred to a community interest group which is ran by myself and a colleague as the directors as well as setting managers.

We did plan to go straight to community interest group but had too much surplus cash for the charity/constitution to allow us to do so.

• 2 weeks later...

Sazzj, when you moved to a cic did you get to keep your assets we're having an interesting time with the pla?

Suebear aren't you a committee run setting at the moment? if so there shouldn't be any issue with the PSLA...as long as you are following your constitution

we changed from committee charity to a company that runs on not for profit charity....we didn't do cio or cic officially because the accountant said that no one knew how they worked yet! we didn't have any issues with the psla becuase we just told them we were moving and changing the way we ran...but we initially kept the same trustees in order to smooth transition

Nobody should have any issues or problems with PSLA. They do not govern us. Your constitution governs how you should go about dissolving your charity.If it does not say what you want it to say then change it so it does. You then have to get it ok'd by CC not by PSLA- nothing to do with them.

We went to CIO first for the very reason that we were told we would have to give our assests to a similar setting but if we did we couldn't keep the setting running as they were covering the shortfall in the Low numbers we had. We then converted to a CIC with 6 months