Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Unqualified member of staff

We are looking at possibly employing an unqualified person who wishes to do her training, my questions are, which have come from our committee...

Can the member of staff have key children?

And

Will Ofsted mark us down for having an unqualified member on the team?

Hi - with the proviso that my answers are just my own opinion :1b

No, I wouldn't give an unqualified staff member any Key Children - well not unless you are prepared to 'oversee' everything he/she does......

And

No, the big O will not 'mark you down' - especially if you can show how you plan to support his/her training

Good luck! :1b

We give unqualified staff the chance to do observations etc alongside a qualified member of staff so they can see how it works and 'have a go' without having full responsibility! As said before can't see any reason why it would ever go against you - just because people are qualified doesn't mean they are good at their job!!!!

• Like 2

I have two "unqualified" staff members at the moment who are undertaking their level 3 training - they do have key children but only 3 each. Myself and my deputy oversee their work but I feel that it is helpful to their training as they are learning as they are "doing".

As long as half of your staff are qualified and the manager and deputy have at least Level 3 Ofsted are fine.

We have just taken on an apprentice who is training.......she is by far a better practitioner than our previous member of staff who was a qualified teacher !!!!

As yet she has no key children, however i feel she will be more than competent to take on a couple of key children after half term.

I have two unqualified staff members, one has been there for sixteen years and the other one has just begun her level two. The lady who has been with us for sixteen years is far more switched on to the children's safety than our newly employed level five!!

• Like 2

As the previous posts have said some apprentices are much better than level 3 holders,l have interviewed a few who have not heard of EYFS can you imagine that, zero interaction, poor obs, while those that are unqualified after a few supervision and training, they are just brill, l have 2 like that. l was so infuriated l call a local college to complain about the quality of teaching. its so annoying that just because they are level 3, Ofsted accepts them, and the apprentice gets paid less, in my case l am paying the apprentice above minimum wage because she is so good, but for the so called level 3 :angry:

I have only 2 qualified staff myself and new member , were 3 of us but you know the rest. I have 2 due to undertake level 3 , one level 2 apprentice, I phoned ofsted to see if I could make my unqualified member deputy and told that was ok as long as level 3 present , she will be undertaking her level 3 , she has the most experience of the setting and is senco alongside me . I am not looking forward to having to recruit another qualified person as mentioned above qualified does not mean quality.