Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Bored and fed up - this bad patient wants to return to work

Guest sn0wdr0p

Guest sn0wdr0p

Soooo bored, bored, bored, bored, bored.

I have now been off work for a week following my abdominal hysterectomy last Wednesday and can't face watching anymore slip slide, slope style fall on your backside style olympics, I have read 5 books, watched a few good movies on sky but I am now so bored. So, it's time to try creating a website, do my SEF and another million tasks I never get time to do. As owner/manager I am desperate to return to work (Yes I am in pain and rather uncomfortable but hey ho I can get over that with paracetamol). I can access the computer system at work from home and also view the CCTV - I have resisted doing both so far. (Well, apart from doing a bit of finance today)When I told my eldest I was planning on going to go back to work he told me I was grounded - bit of role reversal there.

I can't get comfortable so can't sleep and as always pain is always worse at night and I HATE surgical stockings (at the best of times I hate to even wear socks and discard them as soon as I get through the front door). I did spend yesterday back at the hospital with a suspected DVT and I have worn them religiously and will continue to do so- but they are driving me mad!

The youngest boys were very amused to discover I was wearing Dad's boxer shorts yesterday - much more comfortable than knickers which were bothering my SEVEN incisions. They had gone in keyhole and laparoscipally but when they discovered a melon sized fibroid as well as a few others (fruit size unknown) had to do it abdominally. Well you can guess what I did at the hospital the day after the op - found the scales and was gutted to find I had not lost any weight. I had been saying to my husband for some time that I looked pregnant and now I know why. Sadly I am very swollen so can't see the difference yet.

If I was allowed to drive (no insurance cover after an op like this) I would have popped into work later this week. Still a little dizzy at times so not stupid enough to go in quite yet. It's half term next week so I will have the boys at home so I want to be with them then but definately back to work the week after.

I think if I had had this done and was working for someone else I would have taken the recommended six weeks off but as owner manager I am desperate to get back and I am sure this is flawing my judgement. I had two new staff start this week as well other new staff over the last couple of weeks and really need to get back to make sure everyone is OK. My husband is popping in to the setting twice a day to check everything is OK and I created a form for staff to complete and return to me daily with updates, messages etc. so I can stay in the loop. I know, I know I sound a bit of a control freak here. Bless him he sets the boys off to school, goes to my work then goes to his work then comes home to make lunch (I have told him I can manage myself) back to his work then comes back to help the out of school collections then home to cook tea. AND he has had to cope with the loss of his favourite Calvin Klein boxers as well.

Bored, bored, bored what shall I do now? Any ideas? Any useful books I should order from Amazon (no more fiction please), jobs I should do which we never get round to (home and work). Apparently I can't hoover (until at least week four), pick up a 2 pint bottle (that's next week)- actually I think this laptop weighs more than that and it did rather hurt when I picked it up so my options are rather limited.

Bored, fed up, bored,fed up, grumpy, bored........................................................................

Oh sn0wdr0p you really know the answer don't you rest rest rest.

Take the time off to find your setting really does function without your temporary absence, is quite a blow isn't it. I know that is so hard for us to do, but your body does need time and patience to recover from your surgery.

I have always wanted to write a book, or time to research exciting fun activities for the children.

Do you like sewing, what about cross stitch, or have you ever wanted to learn a new language.

Wishing you a speedy, speedy recovery.:)

Where do you live? I'll come and pick you up, take you into town and get a mobility scooter. Window shopping and coffee. Failing that how about starting a blog about the thing closet to your heart or your op or local news...

I'm rarely bored but I'm also rarely I'll so I'm not much use to you!

I do know from friends how important it is that you follow medical advice, so please do :)

Sky on demand box sets.....search and see if you can download 24 episodes of something or see if your friends have box sets you can borrow....bit more interesting than films sometimes and last longer!

Start a pintrest board of something....maybe just for fun or maybe with ideas for summer term activities

Sleep.....if you are not sleeping well at night then snooze during the day

Rest.....you know you have to or we will all be round to tell you off

You could always wander round the forum and answer old posts.....that would take you hours xD :lol: xD :lol:

Anyway, be a good girl and rest!!!!!

• Like 1

Search the internet and plan a holiday!

Relax and enjoy your recuperation, catch up on odd jobs if you need to but if it hurts stop--you have had a major op, you need time to recover, rushing to get back to normal will only slow your recovery or cause complications. Dont underestimate the recovery time you need, Ive been there and done that!

Take care.

• Like 1

I was most amused to read that you are wearing your OH's underpants. When I had my 'hysterical rectomy' I wore my OH's Y fronts as they were the only undies I found comfortable, no tight bands. I was very amused by a nurses visit as she looked at them doubtfully, and I quickly explained why I was wearing them. She looked even more doubtful, and said that of course they never commented about what people did in their private lives!!!!!

Please rest and don't do too much too soon. You have had major surgery and your body needs to heal itself, which will take time. When I had it done it was a three months off job, because of working with young children.

• Like 1

Definitely rest! The more you try and do, the longer you'll need off...... but you know that don't you :D:D ::1a

The SEF is acceptable to do - however I'd kinda like to bet it doesn't get done!

Boxed sets is the way forward. I never watch TV, however over Christmas I found one series that I actually enjoyed, and (I'm a bit embarrassed to say .. I watched about 20 episodes in 4 days- and even made my daughter download the next 10 directly from America!!)

xxxxx

• Like 1

Oh with you there....only seen episode 1 of the new series so say nothing but so far Juliette is still a b*$%h

We love the music oh and Deacon :wub:

They are now all like family to me....

Sorry Snowdrop- we appear to have hijacked the thread - but in our defence you did ask for ideas! :D:D

(husband like Hawaii 5 o .... I do hope he's not lusting after Steve Mcgarret though. :blink: :blink:

• Like 1

Guest sn0wdr0p

Oh that's fine as I love Hawaii 5 O. It's one of my teenagers favourite programmes and we have a series link to record it.

I didn't come on the forum yesterday because - yes yes I know you are all right- I had overdone it and ended up spending most of yesterday in bed sleeping. as you could see from the time of my posting I had stuggled to sleep the night before.

Louby Loo I think you are probably right and the SEF may not be done as I had Ofsted in December and rather feel I can let it go for a while, however I did have a malicious concern raised at ths start of January and fortunately Osted appeared to recognise this and simpy asked me to investigate it and note my findings so I do worry a little as I feel the individual concerned (I have a good idea who it is - they owe me a lot of outstanding fees) may try something else now. We got a good grading and I think they are trying to sabotage that.

jacquiL I have gone one step further now and sent my husband to Asda last night to buy me some mens short pyjamas. Higher in the waist and longer in the length than ladies short pyjama sets. Oooh so comfy. I slept all night last night!! Much better today.

I have been inspired by the threads about outdoor areas and I am browsing through the Cosy, TTS and GLS catalogues for inspiration today. Maybe doing a little online ordering as well. I can't afford a lot of the things in the catalogues so I am going to make a plan and some designs and ask my father to make us a mud kitchen, digging pit and water wall for starters. I'm getting rather excited about it all. We have opened a baby room this year and it is filling up quite well and my deputy has signed up two more this week who will start in March and I am struggling for outdoor ideas for them so I think I will do a little browsing on the web as well.

Still rather bored and really wanting to do some housework which is really unusual for me as I am rather a bad housewife. I even want to do some ironing which is my most hated job - don't worry I'm not going to do any. My sister - a nurse - is back from her holiday and coming in to do my lunch today and she would soon tell me off. She can be very bossy even though she is younger than me. Yes the four years between us does still matter even though I am 49 and she is 45. Actually I think some of you are rather like her as well.

Susan I have booked a holiday this year which in only our 4th holiday since my husband and I met 20 years ago and we are all very very excited. We have saved for a long time and as it's my 50th this year are going on a cruise. On the ship with the wave rider, climbing wall, ice rink etc. (Who knows I may have a go at all of them now). Life has rather been dominated by the problems which led up to needing the hysterectomy so it's all so much the more exciting. Often not being able to be away from a bathroom for more than 10 minutes, exhausted and being investigated for dementia - my iron ferratin level alone was 0 so not enough oxygen was getting to my brain and affecting my memory until last October when I saw a new GP (female!)who joined all the dots up, moved quickly to get me to the consultant and here I am sorted already.

I am recovering better than I thought though and became rather excited last night when I realised I may indeed be well enough to come to London for Childcare Expo at the end of March. Husband looked rather dubious at the idea but I did remind him that he has asked my to go to a - wait for it - Concreting Show in Las Vegas next year. (yes you did read right 'Concrete' ) How exciting would that be - not.

Ah well, whiled away a bit of the morning typing so going to catch up with a couple of episodes of The Following which I have missed the last couple of week. Now that's a really good programme.

At the risk of sounding like a TV addict....which I am not, we record series of things, many of them on Sky Atlantic as they have some excellent ones....I do The Following....the others gave up with it but I hung in there so now it is the thing I watch when I get a bit of peace and quiet :D