Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Wooden tree slices

Am thinking of purchasing some of these from the wonderful cosy catalogue. Have read a blog where someone actually made their own. Has anyone done this, what would be the implications of it not having a safety kite mark etc?? They are quite a lot of money and we have so many trees and branches blown down here at the moment!! Would love some advice please.

I have some and I certainly didn't pay for them, nor do they have a kite mark! Lovely local tree surgeon brought us some huge log sections and we asked if it would be possible to have some thin slices too. Half an hour later he turned up with a load of them. I think this comes under 'risk taking' and I wouldn't be worrying about them being marked up.........................and I certainly wouldn't buy them when i can get them for free :) Good luck, ring a tree surgeon and see what they say

• Like 2

No, not sealed, but they are left out in all weathers. This ones have started to split, so we'll beg some more from tree surgeon ( I wouldn't trust my husband with a chain saw!)..........we'e had thm a couple of years now, so they have lasted well

Thanks, guess what I am doing during half term!! We have enough trees down around my area to supply everyone!!

if you have lots of trees why not have some long climbing logs too (we have four that are about a meter or so long) they can be balanced to create climbing structures (i risk assess them by jumping on them!!)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

We went to forest the children help saw their own, we use them all the time inside and out, don't like them sealed and yea they split eventually but easy to replace

stopped the car and smiled nicely at some council peeps chopping trees - children have loved the logs and they've been going strong for several years now. We also use decking planks etc

on the subject of safety and kitemarks etc - does everyone (or anyone) spray their fabrics with fire retardant spray; and if so where do you buy from and does it get done after each wash? - we have an awful lot of 'dressing' around our setting so looking in to this on the recommendation of a friendly fire officer

(sorry to hijack - we aren't normally 'elf and safety silly but this got me thinking!)

Edited by gingerbreadman

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)