Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Teaching reading

i have one very able boy ( only just 3) who can read oxford reading scheme books already... when he goes to school how will he manage with the new phonics schemes the infants school use? mum has asked us to support his reading and maths (which are above expectations) and we are having to be very creative with his next steps....we need to concentrate on his psed as his social skills are not great........pressure from parents to do more "workbook" type activities is quite high......personally I am not trained to teach phonics and reading....I would hate to teach it and then the child have a struggle at infants! looking forward to others views.

I'm of a similar view, I'm not trained in the correct way to teach reading so I see our job as providing opportunities for seeing print, hearing speech, joining in with rhymes and songs and and making marks.

Not all schools use the same schemes so without knowing which your local schools were using it might cause conflict. :1b

Agree with Rea , we did have a child who was gifted but often children like this tend to slower on developing their social personal and emotional skills . If this is want the parents are asking it may be worth looking at your setting provision with them and explaining your thoughts and having a progress review meeting , highlighting the areas in which you feel the child would benefit from to aid his transition into school. If you know which school he is hoping to attend , could you speak to the early years teacher and ask for help or advice. Stay true to your ethos but at the same time take into account this child's sen . Children who are gifted earlier in some areas find it difficult to relate to children who do not possess the same skills for reading and writing and can become isolated or develop an intolerance of others . This therefore highlights the psed development . Hope that makes sense , not firing on all cylinders this week

I've spent a huge amount of time of the last months creating a programme for teaching reading within our setting, individually as appropriate to each child's ability and interest. We have some children spending the last year of the EYFS with us, i.e. prior to their statutory school start, so are expected to meet the learning goals for literacy, which are incredibly demanding... I've trained myself in teaching phonics and created the resources I need.

We just do phonics not specific 'teaching reading' so letters and sounds based activities every day. This links to simple reading skills with segmenting and blending CVC words eg cat, dog etc. We will use flashcards etc for children who are able but don't do any reading schemes or anything as like said before - can cause issues at school!#

Hope this helps!

Agree with Rea , we did have a child who was gifted but often children like this tend to slower on developing their social personal and emotional skills . If this is want the parents are asking it may be worth looking at your setting provision with them and explaining your thoughts and having a progress review meeting , highlighting the areas in which you feel the child would benefit from to aid his transition into school. If you know which school he is hoping to attend , could you speak to the early years teacher and ask for help or advice. Stay true to your ethos but at the same time take into account this child's sen . Children who are gifted earlier in some areas find it difficult to relate to children who do not possess the same skills for reading and writing and can become isolated or develop an intolerance of others . This therefore highlights the psed development . Hope that makes sense , not firing on all cylinders this week

lashes....this is exactly the conversation I had with my manager yesterday! I will be contacting a local infants school that we have very good links with for advice....:)

• Like 1

i have my second child in 7 tears reading this year in nursery, but it's easier for me as maintained nursery, so quick chat with reception teacher, and we just do as they do. the child who read 4 years ago in nursery is G&T for reading/writing now, so feel this was the right decision. she was on free readers in year 1 i think......... and current girl can blend and segment, and knows almost all letter sounds, has good comprehension/language and excellent concentration/interest in books so she's ready. can read 15 words so far.... no problems. but will not have anyone else this year, despite some good ones. just feel she is G&T in this area and she is now on our shadow register. first girl had great PSED, current one doesn't but we are working on that as well!

Reading is not just about phonics, there is a whole range of activities from letters and sounds that we should be doing, phonics is just a small part and not suitable for all children, there is a big debate about phonics and it's suitability for all children to learn to read with it.

No I do not think we should be teaching reading in nursery

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)