Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Dislikes - share yours!

I would say absolutely it is neglect and I would treat it very seriously.

personally i would be asking why? i suspect this is often about the parents feeling embarrassed and they are needing help to accept that their child might look different to others.....put yourself in their position...how would you feel?

so.........................ask parent to leave a spare pair at the setting, so at least they can be worn there? I agree that it has aspects of neglect, in that the child has sight problems for which glasses have been prescribed........prescribed...........so they should be worn, in order to help the child's sight and in turn, his learning.

If that doesn't work, what about a quiet word with H/V??

personally i would be asking why? i suspect this is often about the parents feeling embarrassed and they are needing help to accept that their child might look different to others.....put yourself in their position...how would you feel?

Sorry, I might have jumped in there a little too quickly, but if the parents have been asked and asked since November and the little boy can barely see without his glasses, as Max321 says, I do think it is neglectful. But you're right, a more in depth chat with parents may bring up the reasons.

flip flops and crocs that they can't run in....dungarees.......being coughed at....right in my face! lol oh and dressing up but by the looks of it everyone hates that....green runny nose trails on coats and sleeves.... i could go on but fear i might come across as a grumpy old bag! x

You seem to have hit the nail on the head with this group of gripes for me anyway! Dressing up not too bad - but we do have one outfit which is a dinosaur from Disney shop a few years ago - by the time I've huffed and puffed my way into putting a child into it, they are often feeling a little claustrophobic in it and ask for it to be taken off again!

We are trying so hard at the moment to get the children to take off and put on their own shoes and coats, amazing how many just stand about waiting for an adult to do it for them, or when they come in from the garden just drop their coats on the floor - right by the hooks they should be putting them on!!! Grrrrrr.... Come on parents - stop making a rod for your own backs - encourage your littlies to look after themselves!

Most of my grandchildren have had to wear glasses as young children but their eyes have corrected themselves. I use this as an example but it does not work. One of the children who started with us was told he had to wear glasses but mum told me that he wouldn't, wear them at home. She no longer brings them in at all. Both eyes are now not focussing normally I guess the lazy eye is putting strain on the normal eye. When I mentioned it Mum said she has noticed it.

things i dislike -

never being able to find a pen to mark the register even though i put one next to it ready

parent who says "oh can he have his juice with his snack please" (fruit shoot no less) - that's a no!

staff who chat whilst you deal with situations then say "oh i never noticed"

• Like 1

What a great thread, my biggest gripe at the moment are the shoes that are like boots with zips and laces (very popular in my pre-school), you have to undo both the zip and laces completely before tugging and pushing by a member of staff can get them back on.

We are trying to promote independence but failing miserably with these shoes, as the children cannot even attempt to do them by themselves.