Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

TOP TIPS - Learning and Development

My TA recently attended a course and returned to nursery with some very useful information - useful to me because I had not come across the fact before viz.

'when helping children to put on their coats the adult should stand behind the child to show them how to do up the zip, because when standing in front the child sees the mirror image which can cause confusion'

To many, this may seem 'obvious' or be something that they learned long ago during the course of their career; but this was 'new' to me and is a piece of 'useful information' that I will be putting into practice. It has made me think that there must be hundreds of facts/tips that we could share on the fsf - so how about doing just that? The following might be 'common knowledge' but just to start the ball rolling ...

1. When modelling writing with left handed children, hold the pencil in your left hand

2. Tilt the paper to the left for right handed children and to the right for left handed children

Any 'Top tips' would be gratefully received! :1b

A top tip from a recent toilet training course...To check if a child can actually reach to wipe their bottom, ask them to put their arm over their head and touch their ear. If they can't reach they won't be able to reach their bottom!

• Like 2

On the toileting subject, I found a couple of weeks ago that you should never restrict drinks at bedtime for children as an empty bladder will not trigger the hormone needed to enable children (and the rest of us) to stay dry all night.

My TA recently attended a course and returned to nursery with some very useful information - useful to me because I had not come across the fact before viz.

'when helping children to put on their coats the adult should stand behind the child to show them how to do up the zip, because when standing in front the child sees the mirror image which can cause confusion'

I have always done it this way because I can't do it 'face on ', and their trouser buttons I stand behind to do those up too. Similarly shoe tying, always tried to do that from my child's perspective.

Probably you all know what we call the magic jacket trick, where the coat/jacket is laid on the floor with the inside up and the child stands by the head, puts their hands in the sleeves, throws the jacket over their head and pushes in their sleeves fully.

For a tripod grip, see attachment.

Tripod pencil grip.pdf

Edited by Wildflowers
  • Like 3

Just a thought on the coat one - we had a member of staff who had there nose broken when a child put their head back into their face when they were standing behind them doing their coat and leaning over their head - worth bearing in mind!

Yes this is true, you do have to be vigilant, however, the little darlings jump up and down etc. even when you are close to them doing up from the front, you are never safe with a little one - they should carry government health warnings!

• Like 2

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)