Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

UW help

Hi all,

I'm finding at the moment that we are a bit lacking in the UW observation department. I think that this time of year the children seem to be less interested in things that are (not!) growing - although there a loads of interesting seed heads etc in the garden if we point them out to the children.

We have done some ice exploration and I have some winter plants on the exploration table but I'm lacking inspiration.

I'm trying to think of little enhancements that I could add to areas that really encourages children to observe and talk about things. Thinking of having some fish for next half term but am just lacking thinking power at the moment.

Any ideas - I know there are a million out there, just not in my brain at the moment!

Thanks

Green Hippo x

i've just bought some little grow your own pots from sainsburys full of herbs ...thought it would make a nice smelly sensory area and we might do some cooking with them when they've grown ! Sensory gloves are a favourite...fill disposable gloves with all sorts (shaving foam, pasta rice,ice, etc etc) lots of descriptive language too! have a look on pintrest...i'm a bit addicted!

• Like 2

I have a fish and water snail all year round. The tank is always a big draw and great for obs.

This half term I also have hyacinth bulbs growing on my nature table. 3 in a pot and one in a clear container so its roots can be seen growing.

I am also planning to grow an amaryllis - just because they are so spectacular!

Thanks for your quick replies.

I was trying to find a clear bulb pack - may just buy some bulbs and put them in clear containers. Definitely like the idea of a daffodil growing competition!

Doing the volcano experiment tomorrow due to 2 little boys spending three days creating volcanos out of an egg tray - it looked great and they've really worked hard on it together, returning each day to add the next bits. Made me smile :)

Thanks

Green Hippo x

We have made 'soap mud' this week........

Grated baby soap + torn up toilet roll + hot water (obviously children were not involved in that bit!) - this is in our water tray - has proved extremely popular - and has provided opps for maths, literacy, uw, pd and ead........ :1b I would recommend! :1b

• Like 1

search for slime in forum!!! cait posted. lovely for science if children make it. cooking activities. sand wheels in the sand or water - how do they work? magnets and plastic, metal and wood items to explore. torches and glow in the dark bits. look for their shadows outside - if we get any sun!! it's all the things you do but 'forget' are science i bet......

The wild weather we have at the moment has led to many interesting discussions. We had hail today!

Which weather is it? How do we know? From where does it blow? How do we know? What makes it blow? What are clouds? What is fog / hail / rain / snow? Why does it rain? Why is there no sunshine?

(I actually wonder about the last two myself!)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)