Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Recent OFSTED inspections .. Advice !

fimbo

I've been connected with our playgroup for 20 years and have only known one inspection where the chair was present and that was me 4 years ago. Manager phoned to tell me inspector had arrived and I decided to pop in. We had a great chat but I certainly didnt need to be there, I think they understand a committee is made up of people who possibly work and can't be on hand :)

Ours was last year, asked for chair to come in and spent an hour talking to her, said even though committee understood their roles and responsibilities they were not pro-active enough in the development of the preschool and this was why she couldn't give outstanding overall, though a setting very close to us different inspector just asked manager to confirm from a list who was/wasn't still on committee :(

We had our visit in December. our committee were in a meeting so I introduced her to them all and she asked to speak to the chair. After the meeting the chair and I spoke to the inspector for around an hour. luckily our chair has been on the committee for over 4 years so knows the ins and outs.

Our inspection before that didn't ask to see any committee members!

From conducting EYs Inspections:

in group provision only:

• ask the manager to contact the provider or the nominated person to make them aware of the inspection and provide an opportunity to be present during the inspection and/or feedback

Meeting with the provider
12. As part of the inspection, the inspector must meet with the provider, or the manager if the provider is not present. The inspector must consider the best time to hold the meeting with the provider. Normally it should be early in the inspection so that the matters discussed can be followed up during the inspection.

14. Where the manager or nominated person has changed since the last inspection, the inspector must ensure that the provider meets the requirements of the Early Years Foundation Stage. The inspector should find out whether the roles and responsibilities of the provider and manager are clear. The inspector should also make sure the provider understands that legal accountability cannot be delegated to the manager.

• 3 weeks later...

Ofsted inspection last week and despite her knowing I have very little support from the committee, she didn't ask to speak to any member. I told her I was the nominated person and I was told that was not good practice. I told her, no one wants to be on the committee let alone learn all the requirements etc and that it was such a headache changing the nominated person over every time the committee changes, that we were staying that way. She accepted it. She also noted my CRB was a few years old. I said if Ofsted wanted them updating they should pay for it, as our setting couldn't keep paying. She let that go too.

• Like 2

Ofsted inspection last week and despite her knowing I have very little support from the committee, she didn't ask to speak to any member. I told her I was the nominated person and I was told that was not good practice. I told her, no one wants to be on the committee let alone learn all the requirements etc and that it was such a headache changing the nominated person over every time the committee changes, that we were staying that way. She accepted it. She also noted my CRB was a few years old. I said if Ofsted wanted them updating they should pay for it, as our setting couldn't keep paying. She let that go too.

Sounds like you stood firm in your beliefs - well done! I'm in exactly the same position as you virtually no committee and we are the same our CRBs are all over 5 years old.

Hope I will be as strong as you :)

Well done, a woman after my own heart. Although I think you've been very lucky considering the stories we hear from other people :D

Well goodness knows what she would make of mine then!!

It's almost 20 years old (actually its not even a CRB, as they didnt exist then)

I am also our nominated person and have always been- bad enough changing committee every 1/2 years without changing the nominated person as well. Do you not think that some of these inspectors have no idea of how a committee run group functions?

• Like 1