Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

PE in nursery

Hi. I'm an NQT in a school nursery who has been asked to start running specific PE sessions for the nursery children - in the school hall, changing into a PE kit etc. I'm a bit stuck as to what to do really. I have looked at lesson formats for reception but I think these are a bit too much for our children. I was thinking of starting with parachute games and ring games and see how they get on with these. The children of course have CI access to our outside area with bikes, balls etc. but these PE sessions are to be in addition to this provision. Would anyone be willing to share what they have found worked well for them ? Many thanks.

Hi we are Pre-school aged 2 to 5 years.

We generally have hoops, bean bags, in large groups or small.

In large groups we put the hoops in a large circle with each child in one to start with . Then you can do jumps in,out, backwards forwards, hoola hooping around waist. Then the children put them back down and they jump from hoop to hoop in the large circle. Collecting them up we do by colour so colour recognition too. Some may need support to do this at first.

We have often made an obstacle course so small trampoline, throw object into a box, balance beam, tunnel then back round to start again. We also have the parachutes, ribbons to music, moving our bodies to instructions.

Taking footwear off and back on is definetly a challenge for this age group,so lots of practising this.

Make it as fun as possible.:)

• Like 2

With specific programmes they need to be adhered to through the school really if they are going to be of strategic use...do you need to talk with your coordinator/s to see what their suggestions re what to do would be in the context of skills progression across the years?

Would agree with above comments and definitely recommend sticky kids- we have in our fsu which all children love (especially Funky Monkey lol). Would also recommend looking into Jabadao and Developmental Movement Play- went on NQT EY course (am in Nursery) and was re-inspired to use it lol (did some research into it on foundation degree). It links to brain development through recreating certain types of movement that sometimes children don't experience which can really support physical development- crawling, rolling, pushing, pulling- it's all discussed on the website, have put link below. It's surprising how simply you can cater provision to promote the movements; you don't need the expensive resources (although am on the look out for some decent lycra material as the cheap stuff just isn't as good or stretchy!)- for example using 'crash mats' to do crawling races- an adult can then stand halfway along and children can crawl under. It was also advocated by my LA as great for developing writers physically- strength/ pressure/ balance/ co-ordination/ elbow and wrist pivots, etc.

http://www.jabadao.org/

Oh and Write Dance also has lots of physical movements primarily to develop writing skills too so could base some sessions around these.

There's some nice ideas in a document called 'The Physical Activity Handbook' on goodforkids website (Australian website) I found through a google search looking for ideas.

TES website has lots of ideas and resources/ lesson plans too.

Enjoy! :)

Hi,

All great advice above.

In terms of getting changed - what we do is ask the children to come in jogging bottoms and their ordinary school polo=shirt, sweatshirt and shoes on the P.E. day. We ask them to provide a pair of pumps so all they have to do is change their pumps. Even this in Nursery can take 15 minutes at the beginning of the year! As much as we encourage independence I think that you would find most of your day spent changing clothes!

We have a P.E. slot every week and use it to build skills and understanding about the body. We keep it short and simple at the beginning and build up across the year. I also like to incorporate phonics games e.g. musical corners/marching to the beat etc. into the sessions. At the moment we are using low apparatus to focus on their climbing in, over, under skills. If I set up a balancing and climbing type obstacle course the children would literally stay all day doing this!!!

We also warm-up to Sticky Kids and Tumble-tots and use Write Dance.

Have fun

Green Hippo x

We use sticky kids but as a general activity and our pe sessions at preschool , I tend to assess what the children need to work on and incorporate into session. First sessions are practicing undressing and dressing followed by getting into a space ,I ask the children to put arms out and be aero planes that don't want to crash , so they learn about spacial awareness . If their wings touch someone else they may crash . We do lots of team building games with peers and often get the to work with someone they don't usually play with. Ball rolling extending to throwing and catching. Using a squistle for listening and responding to instructions . We always start with warm up , listen to each other's heart beats and always finish with warm down, relaxation, everything in between is either off the cuff or planned.

Hi I've used Val Sabin in the past. At my last school we didn't have a programme but used apparatus a lot and listening games eg traffic lights, beans, hoop games like wolf and sheep / sharks etc, fast and slow / loud and quiet movements to music etc.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)