Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Liz and the test

Can't believe that she wants testing at 4 and has hinted that they will use 2 year progress check to compare and check progression, unbelievable

Thoughts ladies and gents

Saw it yesterday. Someone had linked to a newsnight conversation where Truss said it wouldnt happen.

Kirsty Wark: "You have started putting kids into test situations at the age of five."

“We’re absolutely not doing that. There’s already an early years profile done at age four or five to see where the child is. We do that through the current system. What we’re doing is saying that schools can have a choice between using that and using alternative methods to see where a child is.”

This is the whole conversation with a tongue in cheek take on what was really being said, by Sue Cowley

http://suecowley.wordpress.com/2013/09/13/truss-translated/

I actually cant add my thoughts, the only word I can think of derives from Germanic, Dutch and maybe Norwegian and Swedish. Its frowned upon these days!

Edited by Rea
  • Like 3

As suspected the 2 year check has nothing to do with children and everything to do with backdoor benchmarking

I'm with you Rea on the expletives ******** ****

Not sure about the book title for Liz's book though - shouldn't it be "Everything I taught the Early Years sector having sat in a couple of early years settings for a few moments" - subtitle "Nanny Knows Best". :huh:

• Like 3

Proposals:

Introduce a baseline at the start of reception

Key stage 1 tests, at the end of year 2, are not a genuine baseline for primary schooling. Measuring a baseline from the end of key stage 1 gives schools no credit for the crucial work they do in reception, year 1 and year 2. There is also a perverse incentive for schools not to focus resources on early interventions, in order to maximise their progress measures. We could instead take a baseline shortly after pupils entered reception. Progress measures would therefore reflect the whole time that a pupil spent in a school, and would reward schools which taught well from the very start. It could also provide valuable national information on the effectiveness of different types of early years provision.

July 2013............it was all there looking us in the face. The consultation is now closed so it is probably too late for the gnashing of teeth.

Well maybe I should try to fit my differently shaped children into a small box.....! We are not the 'same' and once again all children will be measured to see if they are the same!

Maybe we should consider going on strike...but with whom, seeing as each of our staff and settings are so different we don't fit in a box!

Spiral :-)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Everything-I-know-about-teaching/dp/1492912417

Cheer yourselves up with this. I'm looking forward to the Liz Truss book 'Everything I learnt about Early Years from visiting 5 UK settings and 7 French ones'.

Any other titles?

actually I feel rather surprised that its so big.. I mean how many pages/words does it take to say nothing!!!! :ph34r: ;)

• Like 1