Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS, QUESTIONS PLEASE!

blondie

hi, my grand daughter is due to start school next september and my daughter and her partner are about to go for visits to local schools.

as first timers for school they are very anxious and want to ensure the school they choose is the right one - so they are trying to think of questions they need to ask - i have given them a few but would love some help from everyone on the site with ideas and questions please.

many thanks

xx

Length of settling in period. Is it based on individual child. Some schools take 4 weeks for transistion can really effect working parents.

Cover arrangements in the absence the teacher.

Support at lunchtimes.

Parental involvement.

I would want to know how they approach, teaching readiness for writing. Been to so many schools that make their eyfs children do weekly big writes, letter formations sheets etc with complete ignorance of physical readiness and the need to make writing purposeful. I've also seen these methods disengage reluctant writers completely.

• Like 3

It's very dependent on what they are looking for in a school for their child really. If they are shown round properly by an experienced member of staff, this should answer any questions they may have. I'm a firm believer in a feeling for a place. I remember when we were looking at secondary schools for my daughter we went to the two grammar schools and didn't really feel welcomed and comfortable. They had lots of high tech stuff but it just didn't appeal, whereas the local comprehensive was down to earth and very welcoming - there was a friendly feeling and staff were laughing with each other. There was no competition really.

• Like 5

We viewed lots of primary schools for my daughter and a friend who is a TA told me to take my daughter with us, I was a bit sceptical when she said it but went along with it - it was amazing the difference in how some schools treated her as a visitor!!

I would say gut feeling and by taking the child with you to see how teachers react to them.

Luckily my daughter chose the same school as us :1b

Look at the other children and do they look happy and engaged and not bored and slightly terrified

How do the staff deal with interruptions from the children when you are being shown round

If you go into a classroom and get the chance talk to the children and see what they say about their school ;)