Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Early Years Outcomes t

apple

Before I begin the task of putting together a table/assessment tracker for the new DM's (Early Years Outcomes) I wondered if anyone has already done this and if you wouldn't mind sharing? If not I will crack on and upload here when finished.

I am trying to get something we can use for our baseline in Nursery and had been watching a post which that someone else had put on about baselining in Nursery but there did not seem to be any replies. It would be good to know what systems people are using.

I feel I am struggling to address the issue of baselines as I seem to be caught up comforting criers at the moment (that's the children not the staff! - although I feel I could cry with the weight the pressing need to assess looming everyday!)

Is anyone willing to share what/how you are going about this in terms of recording?

I am caught up in toileting issues!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am continuing to use the developmental matters statements to try and gauge roughly where the children are at. I am not however worrying too much about this. You need to get to know the children before you can assess so I am getting to know them. . . . . . . . and our toilets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 2

Wow, I'm going to speak too soon now, but we haven't had any toileting issues as yet with this current new intake, two crying a little when they arrive but settling after a very short time, and alas one that has fallen asleep twice, but that's a different post bless him.:(

We observe this whole half-term and then begin to look at our sheets at the beginning of next term. :)

We too are spending lots of time supporting toileting and settling. Getting to know the new children and supporting them to feel comfortable before which they can not even begin to show us their true selves!

I recently attended a course where it was suggested that our true initial baseline is in the information parents can give us. I know lots of you will say children behave differently in the setting to how they are at home but perhaps that is the point!

Does anyone seek this kind of information from parents and if so how? Sorry Apple I didnt answer your query just presented another slant on things!

Biker

thank you for your replies I supposed I was getting a bit jittery in case the big o descend! I will have a go at putting the outcomes onto a sheet and will put in resources - there are not many changes so shouldn't take too long. You have made an interesting point Biker regarding parents and using the information they may provide. I wonder if anyone too uses this info?

I had Ofsted in on Tuesday and she did ask if I had a copy of the Early Years Outcomes, I said I had seen it but not yet got a copy. She said I should have one, at which I pointed out that if its non-statutory and the same outcomes as in Development matterswhy did I have to have one?! She said Ofsted will be working with it, but yes it is non-statutory!!

I've given the staff a copy each and we are looking at it when planning but sticking with Dms as it's just so much more detailed - but if a nuisance really having another document to consider! But heyho it's all about the impact on the children so my thinking is we will look at whatever is produced and use it all to suit us and the children ?

• 2 weeks later...

Perhaps you should point out to your LA that their role has been re-defined (and unless they make it a condition of your receiving early education funding at your setting - which could be classed as an unreasonable demand) suggest that they v. politely get off telling you what non-statutory guidance you should be using!

Maybe a bit of communication and language and literacy tasking could be passed their way - e.g., rearrange the following to make an appropriate comment "stuffed" "get" :o

Getting a bit bolsy in my old age I'm afraid and turning in a v. grumpy old woman xDxD

Edited by SueJ
  • Like 2

we have also been told this too we are overdue an inspection they are preparing us by saying we must use this they will expect us to use it. However our advisor didn't much like our tracking which is DM based but we could buy theirs which is also DM based and has not been changed to EYO as yet me thinks they have a lot of these to off load. confused from Halifax

I would be mindful of any suggestions, but remember DMs or EYO are not statutory, if you can display and show whatever tools you use are beneficial to the whole child's progress then this in my opinion is whats really important.

Any shuffling or changes of documents from the powers that be, can actually be a useful way to evaluate your existing practice.:)

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)