Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

New York advice please

Rea

Hi!!

I have been to New York twice (FABULOUS place!!!) and I stayed on the upper west side both times, though in different hotels.

I expect it depends on exactly what you want from your stay as to where it would be best that you situate yourself! If you are going to mainly shop then maybe Times Square type area would be good.

I stayed at The Beacon Hotel (75th street) first time and I loved it because I wanted to sight see and it was close to central park, the natural history museum and close to a subway station which made it easy to see the rest of what New York had to offer. It was in a relatively quiet, and nice area.

Second time we stayed I think slightly further up about 86th/89th street I can't quite recall. . . . . . We did have a little apartment type room with living area and kitchen come diner but on that occasion I travelled with my husband and children.

Another nice place.

I honestly dont think where you stay matters too much!!!!!!! I think though hotels actually downtown might be busier or even noisier if they overlook the street.

I went at Easter and for New Year. Am looking forward to going back at some point in the not too distant future!

Both times we booked a Virgin recommended hotel too!!!

Have fun. I am envious!!!!!!!!!!

Have been several times and absolutely love it. Have stayed mid-town near the Empire State Building and Fifth Avenue, also mid-town near Rockefeller Plaza. Downtown too, SoHo and Greenwich Village. But to be honest, Manhattan isn't a huge island so everywhere is pretty convenient. There is a subway on almost every corner, buses go up and down all the avenues as well as cross town but the very best way to see the place is on foot...and looking up!! Have a wonderful time!

Try the Hotel Pennsylvania.........we went last month. Its right near Maceys and is great for all metro stations, hop on and you'll get everywhere really quickly. Metro ticket for a week is $30. Just watch out for all the tour bus folk, it can get pretty hectic..................best thing is DON'T make eye contact, just look as if you know where you're going!

This hotel has seen better days, a bit rough around the edges, but it was cheap, cheerful and clean. It was also very popular, lots of people staying there, so it must be ok. If you get a cab there from the airport, it should cost about $40 and that included the toll road charges......don't get stiffed for more than that, but add your tip

Nice places to eat..............try carmines on Broadway Italian and very good ( the price on the menu is per dish of food, enought o feed four to five people), or John's Pizzas.........really lovely, but if you are in a rush, frget it, we queued for ages to get a table

Edited by narnia

That made me think of an hotel we stayed in on the Isle of Wight - 'somebody' :ph34r: mis-read the star rating - sure it said 'five' turned out it was 'two' :o :blink: still it was clean that's my main requirement - the fact that it clearly not been re-decorated since the fifties just added interest! ;) :rolleyes:

Lovely offer Maz, but after taking a massive suitcase to Venice and not wearing any of it, I'm taking a carrier bag with some clean knickers and my lipstick!

Edited to say, I'm really not the tramp I sound like ;)

Edited by Rea

We stayed at the Blakely opposite Carnegie Hall, I think. I'm not sure how pricey it was but it was a lovely small and friendly hotel and we could walk everywhere from there, although my husband might not agree with that - he is a confirmed car driver! Have a lovely time (I'm very jealous!).