Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

accounts help

I'm sitting with our treasurer trying to find a simpler way for her to do the accounts. At present she breaks each receipt into cleaning products, food items, resources, equipment and loads of other catagories. She also lists items by day. I think there must be an easier way. Would anyone be willing to show me an example of what they give to the accountant, especially if you're a charity?

We're a charity, sorry on iPad so can't put up what we use here, will later if you still want to see it, but we clump food, cleaning stuff, paper , paints etc.....under 'consumables' don't bother separating all, utilities, repairs to building, furniture go under ' premises' then we have wages, insurance, fundraising costs and other I think.

ours were similar to as you describe.. we looked at the categories and considered which ones could be put together... making the number as few as possible... but balancing it with the need for us to be able to actually see how much was being spent in each area each year .. enabling us to really see where we could or could not make cuts.. so if the a spend in one area was particularly high we could look and decide on ways to reduce it.. by lumping too much together we found some big spending got lost in it all.. we wanted to really know where all the money was going..

Thanks everyone :1b

Inge, we already know we cant cut back anywhere so being able to see all areas is a waste of time.

The treasurer has even listed purchases by day! One expenditure was listed as 6th March - £1.50 on refreshments!! She goes through each receipt and splits it into consumables, ect.

The summer events were split into party food, everyday usual refreshments, party presents, graduation presents, party entertainer....

I'm trying to help her to see she needn't spend so long or go into so much detail. :o

Thanks lashes, we have got something similar near us. I suppose I'd better give them a try (do I sound as tired of all this as I feel?) I need someone to help cut the time our treasurer takes

Things like events costs you list we had a category called events.. and all went there..

Having done accounts before I did ours quite detailed , and i do feel every receipt does need entering individually.. but I know some feel they do not...the person who did our audit liked them that way... but he was an accountant and did it free for me.. ( well a good bottle of red!)

Have you looked at the PLA books to see if there is something there that may help.. they used to have an accounts book suitable that gave a very simplified accounting system for charities..

I had an excel spreadsheet.. i know others use an accounting package.. there are free ones out there.. as well as ones that you pay for.. many have a free trial.. could be worth a small investment..