Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

HELP UNAUTHORISED HOLIDAY

I get that as well, but staff will not tell me directly, but have a feeling they would, which they normally does especially as we have one rule holiday ie one person at a time. That is the reason why I am a bit flexible with unpaid leave., which I am reviewing now

Really feel for you I have a member of staff who books 2 holidays every year during term time - not to the same extreme as yours though!

As we don't get paid if we aren't in, my staff member just says she'll phone in sick if I refuse it ... so annoying

Just on another note about holidays - awhile ago on the television I heard that the Government were talking about taking away a parents right to remove their child from school in term time does anyone know if this is going ahead?

• 3 months later...

Hello everyone,

To update everyone got a letter back from staff, stating she is not going on holiday in January, just a few lines to that effect. I know she is still going because it has been booked and on her FB, she is still discussing her travels, I am now suspecting she will either hand in her notice in Nov/Dec, or call in sick for the duration of her hols. Acas says she has not done anything wrong until she takes the holiday and not return for duties. It is so frustrating when you cannot plan ahead with OFSTED on standby, I am just going to prepare myself and try and put things in place as best as I can :angry: so annoyed.

Hello all,

To those who have been following this post, she handed in her notice today shock horror :o no no, i saw this coming as per my email, told her so, the cheek is still denying the travel and now tells me her parents are moving house so she had to move with them, very convenient i suppose, to cap it all she is the DM, and OFSTED so frustrating still has not turned up. Not only that another staff resigned on Friday, and she and DM are in the same room i want to screammmmmm

I know i know, she will love it though getting paid for no work, and bragging about it as well, i went into my car screamed and cried, got home straight to bed did not have energy to do my twins homework or cook my poor understanding husband did all after getting home from work.

Sometimes i think this is a thankless job, love the children,(sometimes let be honest) staffing, Ofsted makes it so unbearable, my cousin who also has a nursery, had a complaint led ofsted last week just 6 months after inspection she broke down crying after ofsted told her she still got her good, but must try and get a life as well, and just to get rid of staff once they start giving trouble her words, you must have a radar for trouble staff - i digress.

I have sent a memo to all parents regarding losing 2 staff, and reassured them, we will try and make it smooth free for the children, because losing 2 staff in a room will affect the children, how can i reassure parents???

What a c@@@@y situation to be in. Try to find the resolve to rise above her, get an advert in ASAP for new staff, tell parents you re doing all that you can to find replacements, you have a good parent base they will be supportive while you show you are pro active. Don't give up hope someone out there wants a job with you.

Oh no :(

Personally to reassure staff I would reshuffle the existing team. I am sure the children are familiar with current staff even if not based in that room.

This will make the transition as smooth as possible and would minimise risk/difficulties of having two new staff members in one room, do this ASAP moving one of the ones resigning sooner rather than later to allow the other staff member to really get to know the kids.

I wouldn't let her leave with pay either. Make her work for it!

Good luck. I am sure all will work out.

• Like 2

Once the dust settles, see this as an opportunity to recruit new staff to the team who can bring some new energy , ideas and dedication, and with an agreed job description already in place. Yes recruitment can have its own headaches, especially if you don't find that 'special' person, but it could well be a blessing in disguise when you look back in a few months time.

Let us know how it all goes.

• Like 5

Not a good time for it all to happen at once.. but I too would reshuffle the team so that someone who will still be there in the new year will have time to become familiar to children and parents .. once you have sorted out the new staff then this can be a time to move staff back if you need to.. once they have helped settle in new staff etc. This will help with some continuity in the room because both are leaving at the same time..

It could be just what is needed... a pain now, but when sorted you will have lost the staff who took the holiday in term time and can set the right tone for new staff not to do this.

Once the dust settles, see this as an opportunity to recruit new staff to the team who can bring some new energy , ideas and dedication, and with an agreed job description already in place. Yes recruitment can have its own headaches, especially if you don't find that 'special' person, but it could well be a blessing in disguise when you look back in a few months time.

Let us know how it all goes.

I totally agree. They say everything happens for a reason - And I for one, am a strong believer in this .

• Like 2

Guest youngrisers

We have disciplined a member of staff over this same issue and she stayed with us after much debate but our policy is clear on unbooked holiday leave. Firstly she must know your policy on holiday entitlement, then if leave is not granted she should know it is unpaid and that you cannot keep her job open if she is in breach of her contract. It seems that she really is not interested in working for you so ACAS could advice you on your rights as an employer.

seems she is taking the micky here......