Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

in need of inspiration...check this out

finleysmaid

So frustrated, my computer will not let me view this site, it just keeps saying operation aborted!! Any ideas why?? I have also tried getting to the page from my search engine and the same thing happens!! Sounds like a great link, what am I missing?? :mellow: :ph34r:

Absolutely lovely and thank you so much for posting. I'd like to go and live in some of them never mind teach or learn in them.

I have to confess though to feeling a little overwhelmed. My room's not like that and I can't imagine how it ever could get there. Even if it were, I know that part of having that environment is having people who share the same ideas and approach and I don't know how to achieve that. Oh, I do get lonely at work sometimes...

So frustrated, my computer will not let me view this site, it just keeps saying operation aborted!! Any ideas why?? I have also tried getting to the page from my search engine and the same thing happens!! Sounds like a great link, what am I missing?? :mellow: :ph34r:

Oh - wish I knew how to help you........

mm if only we did not have to pack away each day - i do try to incorporate some of this but often just ends up being put away a mess !!

Don't know about being put away in a mess, with 2-4yrs in one room the whole hall would be like a whirlwind had hit it with my lot!! :)

I have to confess though to feeling a little overwhelmed. My room's not like that and I can't imagine how it ever could get there. Even if it were, I know that part of having that environment is having people who share the same ideas and approach and I don't know how to achieve that. Oh, I do get lonely at work sometimes...

I'm the same, I get very deflated sometimes when I've managed to go into work early to set something different up and the staff have looked at me like I'm mad, and then the children have trashed within seconds!

Absolutely lovely and thank you so much for posting. I'd like to go and live in some of them never mind teach or learn in them.

Me too.....my house doesn't look like that.....it's usually covered in pre-school stuff!

I have to confess though to feeling a little overwhelmed. It's like reading house and gardens though isn't it? you just have to ick one or two things you really like and sort those out first My room's not like that and I can't imagine how it ever could get there. I am very grateful that we moved into our new building...it gave me the opportunity to do a clean sweep Even if it were, I know that part of having that environment is having people who share the same ideas and approach and I don't know how to achieve that. Oh, I do get lonely at work sometimes. That's what we're here for...small steps you'll get there. Our environment has changed beyond recognition in the last 18 months...now all my staff are on board...i can be VERY persuasive

mm if only we did not have to pack away each day - i do try to incorporate some of this but often just ends up being put away a mess !!

Pack away is so difficult...i have several colleagues who do this in our area....one is an absolute genius at fitting everything into a tiny cupboard!

There are several simple things that have made a difference to us (we're not packaway but used to operate in a very small room)

a) i have banned newspaper and bought lovely PVC tablecloths or just use the tables and wash.

b) ditched the plastic (still ongoing) this has made a huge difference to the feel of the place (i got most of our baskets etc from donations)

c) i have thrown out anything that has not been used for a year

d) most replacement toys are wooden, open ended and beautiful....but they have to be mulit-faceted...if it can't be used to teach several aspects then i dont buy it

e) i have donated , to other groups, anything that i do not like! ....less is more!

f) i stalk charity shops! for small wooden items....have to be carefull not to get too girly and i barter to get the best deal!

g) i use lots of recycled materials like carpet tubes/boxes etc that can be thrown away at the end of the session a large box makes a great easel for painting and doesn't need to be packed away just thrown out.

• Like 2

I'm the same, I get very deflated sometimes when I've managed to go into work early to set something different up and the staff have looked at me like I'm mad, and then the children have trashed within seconds!

keep going...this is not about the staff but the quality of the experience for the children! at the beginning of the year the children do not have the experience so move the bits around and make what we might see as a mess but they are taking it all in. I have to tell you a story about a little boy......last year we set up a dinosaur land at the beginning of the year...lots of plants/tunnels/caves from wood etc etc.within a few minutes of being in the children had played with it 'messed' it up and moved on. This happened many times over the months but gradually the play increased and the 'narrative' part of the play became more important. Towards the end of this term this lad decided to make a dinosaur land he went round collecting all the things he might need...some ot the things he had experienced before and some of his own ideas. He creates a fantastic land (much better than mine!) and he and his friends played beautifully with it for some time...at the end of the session it still looked good too!!!

• Like 1

Gulp amazing stuff! Lots if ideas to magpie. At the moment everything in my classroom (and I've expanded into 2 classrooms so 2 classroom's worth) is piled high in the middle while the painters are in and I can't get in until the end of the hols in the last week. Just thinking about even getting everything put away and tidy in time for the children is going to be a massive job. It will be fab ..eventually. I'm having some new furniture as well so there's all the renaming of resource drawers to do as well -when the furniture arrives.

Deb

. I'm having some new furniture as well so there's all the renaming of resource drawers to do as well -when the furniture arrives.

Deb

why dont you get the children to do this in the first few days ? That way they will find where things go and take 'posession' of it at the same time!

• 1 year later...

Thank you for this link, very inspiring. Will save it to show my staff.

I'm from a pack away setting and it does mean being clever in how everything is stored and accessed.

But I always consider our hall and outdoor space to be a blank canvas: each morning deciding on what mood and environment we aim to create for the children and then when the pre-schoolers arrive it evolves even further. I love it.

We have embraced less is more and using interchangeable resources but still maintain defined areas. It is forever changing but that is what makes it exciting.

The issue we are currently battling with is display space.

• Like 1