Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Mess!

Hi, my class are generally very good at using resources and putting them away etc, but lately two girls play any sort of game that involves taking small items from all over the place e.g. compare bears, phonic cards, beads, jigsaw pieces, and putting them into boxes, saying that they are selling them, using them as rewards when they play schools etc. The general idea of them using these items for role play is not a problem, but at tidy up time they seem to be putting 'some' of the mess away but then just shoving the rest of it anywhere they can so it looks tidy as I have a quick look around. Then at the end of the day if I find something e.g a jigsaw piece and go to put it away, I find a box full of all sorts of other things from around the classroom. I've tried leaving it and getting them to tidy it the next day, but they just make the same mess again later on.

Am I missing a trick??

Could you provide a box of objects and items solely for this purpose? Made up from games which have lost a piece, beads etc. some of your colleagues have probably got a little pot of tat they think will be useful or that. They will be able to repatriate but never do.

• Like 1

I know this may not be helpful as we have a similar problem, however I think you may need to make sure they do tidy up as we recently had our Ofsted and she noticed that outside when we said tidy up a couple of the older girls ran in, the member of staff didn't take issue with it and the other children outside did tidy up and the girls concerned tidied up inside when it came to it, however we were pulled up on it!!!

I seem to have a few who suddenly need the toilet when it's time to tidy up! I also have girls who wander about with handbags ole thing stuff from around the room. Whenever I find an abandoned handbag I upend it and tell the suspects to put it all away properly, and if I find one piece out of place I will take all the handbags away and they will have to find something else to do.

• Like 2

One day I'll post a photo of our cupboards and then you'll know what mess is!

I'd do as Cait suggests, keep odd pieces for them to use, if they want something that's not part of that box then you can remind them of the tidying up rules.

Agree - they need to have things they know are okay to use this way and to be aware of the effect of taking puzzle / game pieces away from the table.....perhaps need a group discussion and agreement on 'rules'....

Then what about having selections of small pebbles, shells, pine cones, cotton reels, blocks, bottle tops / jam jar lids that they can stuff into bags or use as props etc...but which are less of a pain if the odd few get lost or misplaced?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)