Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Nappy changing policy

Hi,

I know this has been covered in other posts after doing a search, but I just wanted to do a quick straw poll on here, if that's ok?

I'm on the committee of our playgroup (I'm also a nursery nurse) and my big passion is the key person system. Our nappy changing policy has that nappies are changed by key person/back up key person as per PLA policy.

However, I KNOW this doesn't happen and the argument is that some of the younger children (we take them from 2) would get too attached and wouldn't like it when the back up person does it, so one person doing all nappies each day is a far better system.

I've searched the EYFS briefly (!) for the actual part where it says about personal care routines and haven't found it, so is it still there?

How many of you actually do key person nappy changes or do you still have a nappy rota? Has anyone been pulled up by Ofsted for having a nappy rota?

We are reviewing our policy this week, so just wanted a bit of info on what others are doing in various settings.

Thanks!

RB x

In my setting Key persons/ back up key person change their children's nappies during the session unless a child asks for someone else. Every child must have their nappy changed within each session....my staff added this to our policy.

I did a placement for my EYPS in a full day care setting where a member of the team gloved up and wore an apron whilst she changed each child in turn. I found this quite impersonal as she was quite clearly not interacting with every child during what I consider to be a nurturing care experience....she was quite bored quite quickly and churned children out like a sausage factory.

Nappy changing should be and is an important part of bonding between a key person and a child providing opportunities to support communication and language, for singing, blowing raspberries on tummies, tickling.....a fun experience rather than a laborious task.

I did a placement for my EYPS in a full day care setting where a member of the team gloved up and wore an apron whilst she changed each child in turn. I found this quite impersonal as she was quite clearly not interacting with every child during what I consider to be a nurturing care experience....she was quite bored quite quickly and churned children out like a sausage factory.

That could well have been just that member of staff though. I've worked in settings where one member of staff did all the nappies, it was a rota, I never made it seem to any child that they were being churned out. Every child had their favourite toy, rhyme, song and a chat or whatever it was they prefered. I tried always to make it quick, but friendly and cosy. If you have a key person doing the same childs nappies all the time, how do you handle it when that member of staff is away for some reason? I prefer for all staff to have a good relationship with all children.

• Like 2

Pre-school, we have a rota - it is however very flexible!

Sometimes the child choses/bonds with a certain staff member, sometimes they are happy for anyone to change them..............and sometimes (shock horror :o ) we do not even change them!!!!

As our rota stays the same each week, it does however mean that same person/ same day each week- therefore child soon knows this person.

As for the not changing bit - if a very young child starts (2+) and they are still settling we often work with the parent as to whether or not to change them. Meaning the parent will ensure the child is clean and dry at start of session and as long as the child is comfortable they are left (max three hours) Poo's and really soggy bottoms however are changed if they occur!! :1b :1b

x

It is a t tough one, I admit. I guess with younger babies there is a need for consistency and with such an intimate procedure, knowing what the child likes/doesn't like i.e. singing a certain nursery rhyme, tickling tummy etc, is important. Also a key person will know what is normal for that child regarding poo/nappy rash, so they will immediately recognise any changes in order to report back to the parent. If you have a different member of staff changing it every day, how will this be monitored? You would like to think that the member of staff changing the nappies would ask the key person if this is normal, but things do get forgotten in the grand scheme of a busy day.

Having said that, I completely take on Rea's point that if the child does form a really close bond, even a back up/second named key person could disrupt the child's routine and make them anxious, especially if there is a long-term change.

Is it really THAT important with children who are 2+? I just want to make sure that if we keep it in the policy, it is being done and if we take it out, the staff can justify the rota system to Ofsted if it gets questioned.

Thanks for your replies so far.

We are a pre-school with just 2 staff.

We change the child when we feel they need it or if they ask- whoever they ask or whichever of us notice they need changing.

We don't have a rota or take it in turns as such- just depends on the child and the day really.

We do have one child who will only let me change her nappy so we do follow her wishes with this (I am her key person too)

• Like 1

I've been in settings who use a nappy log sheet. It states Childs name, time of change, reason I.e wet/soiled and a bit more space to say runny, solid ECT. Then its signed

When I ran a playgroup there were no more than 3 members of staff working at any one time as the setting was quite small. Whoever noticed a nappy needing changed would just get on and do it. We all knew all of the children really well and had a good relationship with them.

We also logged it and if there were any special requirements regarding a child it would be discussed at staff meetings.

• Like 1

Most of our children are out of nappies when they come in but we usually have 2/3 at a time in nappies. We have never had a rota for this and it's just whoever notices the smell, soggy bottoms or is asked. As louby lou we dont routinely change unless asked or noticed. All our children are at least 2 y 7 mths so quite able to spend three hours in a nappy. However, I do think if we are talking about babies and very young toddlers in for the day- then it is very different. Ours are usually protesting about the disruption and anxious to get back as soon as possible!!

The real issue here is if you have a policy it needs to be followed.what is says is up to the setting to decide.. .. if you don't and have an issue with someone questioning that can be a problem ... we had a complaint about this sort of thing... and as we had a policy and were following it, all parents aware before they started, the complaint was registered as unfounded... at the time we were told had we not been following our policy then it may have been different..

We have a daily routine in place in our setting and it is flexible. Nappy check/change is part of it so staff are taking turns during each week.If there's a child who requires only certain person to have his/her nappy change then we always enable this. If a child is potty training and needs to use toilet more frequently,then key person is the one who keeps this in mind and is responsible for taking the child to toilet.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)