Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Curl up and dye !

lashes2508

after a phone call from my mum (83) yesterday morning in a slight state of panic , to find out she had reacted badly to a hair dye .

My mum knows she is allergic to ammonia so always uses Loving care - when shopping with my sister who said this will be ok despite my mums objections - as Nice and easy had no ammonia .

so mum uses it - reacts badly , incessant itching of scalp , neck, rash to face and swelling of face - what shall i do she asks - i suggest an antihistamine - she has one but step dad said don't take anymore as she is on other meds.

So a call to NHS direct , out of hours doctors who were fab and made a appointment for us at walk in health centre - I travel the 40 miles - collect mum - who when i arrived looked like a cabbage patch doll - travel another 20 to centre and get seen immediately - strong steroids prescribed and home again to mums.

so the moral of this story is ALWAYS CHECK THE INGREDIENTS - STICK WITH WHAT YOU KNOW - mum did a swab test - no reaction !

and don't waste your breath telling your sisters who live 5 mins away what a pair of p***** they are for laughing and not taking it seriously or getting off their lazy backsides to help.

I dont feel put upon - would do anything for my mum and was happy to help and knowing she can rely on me in her time of need is reassuring and nothing compared to what she has done for all 10 of us over the years .

called her this morning and she is feeling a little better - itching subsiding but still looking like she has done a few rounds with a boxer !

sorry a rant and a warning xx

I know they can be really dangerous!

I colour my hair frequently, don't read the box, don't do a skin test and dont don't 8 weeks before hunting another one on. Guess I'm lucky. Glad your moms improving :)

I know they can be really dangerous!

I colour my hair frequently, don't read the box, don't do a skin test and dont don't 8 weeks before hunting another one on. Guess I'm lucky. Glad your moms improving :)

your right Rea - my sisters can be really dangerous :D must admt I am like you - but do tend to stick to same one

Hope your mum recovers soon, hair dyes have a lot of nasties and chance of a reaction is surprisingly high.

I decided a long time ago to go grey gracefully... I hate any roots showing and as my hair grows so fast they would be visible in 2 weeks... and as I have some allergies did nto want to chance it...

as it turns out is has worked well and the hairdresser envies my wide streaks of grey..

Edited by Inge

Guest sn0wdr0p

I was much the same as Rea and was getting a little fed up having to colour my hair every month and my head was getting rather itchy for some time after colouring. Some of you may remember I decided to go red a few months ago - loved it but far too much maintenance. So - took a deep breath and got some dye remover from Tesco and spent SEVEN HOURS stripping all the colour from my hair and ended up bright white - but with a yellow tinge ( I know that sounds confusing) so put an ash blond on and my hair is now growing through and is almost the same colour. I feel so liberated.

Luckily I had taken a days holiday and sent the boys away to PGL for 3 days (not just so I could colour my hair) and they got rather a shock when I went to collect them.

Hope Mum recovers quickly. We never learn do we? The price we pay for vanity eh.

Guest lillybeth

I hope you Mum has a speedy recovery. I was amused by the title of your topic in Blairgowrie in Scotland that is the name of the local hairdressers !!!!!

Guest sn0wdr0p

There is a hairdressers near us of the same name. Rather puts you off going doesn't it?

Has anyone ever had a skin test before having their hair dyed at the hairdressers. I haven't.

Edited by sn0wdr0p

Guest lillybeth

Hope you didn't think I was trivializing your Mum's condition. On a more serious note perhaps you could contact the makers of the die as your Mum had done a swab test. My cousin had a similar problem some years ago and the manufacturers of the die took the matter very seriously even though she had not done a test prior to using the die.

There is a hairdressers near us of the same name. Rather puts you off going doesn't it?

Has anyone ever had a skin test before having their hair dyed at the hairdressers. I haven't.

I had a skin test once, was supposed to leave it 48 hours but had to wash! so it only lasted less than 24.

I've probably used every one on the shelves at some point so figure I've been tested :)

Hope you didn't think I was trivializing your Mum's condition. On a more serious note perhaps you could contact the makers of the die as your Mum had done a swab test. My cousin had a similar problem some years ago and the manufacturers of the die took the matter very seriously even though she had not done a test prior to using the die.

not at all Lily beth - yes i have done that yesterday thank you

checked in with mum again this morning - she is feeling a lot better and said the steroids are helping her aching knees and shoulder too - she then asked me if i had tried to call yesterday ? reminded her I had spoke to her and then told her the steroids were obviously not helping her memory :D she has had blood checked as she is on warfarin and all ok there too as steroids can affect this so all good

• Like 1

Guest lillybeth

not at all Lily beth - yes i have done that yesterday thank you

So glad I was worried when I sent it, i hope your Mum is OK now xx