Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

EYFS conference June 13th 2013

A friend is there today - she put up a status on facebook about there being a notable absentee... so maybe Ms Truss has had a sudden subsequent engagement that has prevented her from attending? I am waiting with interest to see what happens!

Actually cathym, that's not the conference I meant- sorry! This one was at the Queen Elizabeth Hall, run by govnet. Sorry for the confusion!

Maz- I've just come home and written an email to complain about her absence- the ONLY reason for me going was to hear what she had to say. And I'm furious that they didn't even give any explanation about her non-appearance. That's just cost me £270 + £47 in travelling. A complete and utter waste of time. Can you tell I'm mad :angry:

Dreamgirl- a chap from the DfE talked a little bit about LAs and their support for practitioners. He explained that the gov believed the EYQISP stuff, and categorising every setting (therefore doing similar work to Ofsted) was too much for them to be asking of LAs and that was the reasoning behind taking away some of their responsibilities. He then talked about much needed further support for poor settings, so I guess there is hope that the LA support teachers etc will still be very much needed.

I would be mad too. These conferences cost so much money, and if one of the prime reasons for going is to see a specific person, there's always scope for disappointment. I'll bet there's something in the small print about the line up changing at short notice.

Shocking that there was no acknowledgement or explanation as to why she wasn't there. That's just plain bad manners - but I'll bet it is indicative of the fact that Ms Truss just didn't want to face the music.

Will be interesting to see what response you get, Helen. Shame - if I'd known you were going we could have arranged afternoon tea! ;)

I'm pretty certain they cover themselves too; and I do understand that speakers might not arrive, for whatever reason. But their reaction (or rather non-reaction) is appalling. :( I'll let you know what the organisers say. I wish I'd been brave enough to raise it - but to be honest I was beginning to doubt myself and that she hadn't been listed to speak at all! Maybe that's what they were banking on!

• Like 1

Just had a quick facebook exchange with my friend. She says that everything is being really rushed through this morning, no mention of why Liz Truss' name has disappeared from the programme and delegates are beginning to voice their dissatisfaction. People will have gone there today expecting the latest information and are being given woolly 'well we don't know any more than you' type of messages. What a waste of money!

She says it is the first and last of these conferences that she'll go on! Delegate feedback will be interesting, to say the least.

Well, well, well. Liz Truss has just tweeted about what she's been up to. @CityMothers are a "welcoming network for women in City professions managing careers and children".

I have tweeted her to ask if she's off to the QEII Conference Centre, but since the Minister doesn't follow me I'm not expecting a reply any time soon... :(

post-8466-0-92513100-1371132703_thumb.png

I've retweeted Maz, a labour MP, Sharon Hodgson follows me, unsure why! Maybe it will get to the right people?

Copied from citymothers twitter dated May 13th

Last minute addition to our 2013 speaker series - cant say who yet but v excited! Need a venue now.

They named her on the 14th

Edited by Rea

That is appalling for an advertised main speaker to not be there. And without explanation. I, like you, would be furious.

At the PSLA conference last week there were Ofsted reps there (names escape me) who were talking about a proposal for Ofsted themselves to provide support for 'Requires improvement' settings. I had also heard this a while ago from another source.

I am also going to one of the 'Learn, Explore, Debate' events next week so it will be interesting if we hear more there.

Maz- I've just come home and written an email to complain about her absence- the ONLY reason for me going was to hear what she had to say. And I'm furious that they didn't even give any explanation about her non-appearance. That's just cost me £270 + £47 in travelling. A complete and utter waste of time. Can you tell I'm mad :angry:

Mad - absolutely - I would be throwing a complete hissy fit if I were you..........

Apparently there was much applause when, during the Q&A session in the afternoon, someone raised the issue of the Minister's non-attendance. I've yet to find out what the organisers said, but it seems from a couple of people who tweeted about it that there was considerable consternation amongst the delegates! :angry:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)