Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

broken leg exclusion

Same for us. We made sure we talked to parents about how the child was getting on, risk assessed and gave help and support where needed. The child adapted incredibly quickly and we all (including children) got used to looking out for her. We had no exclusion period. I think she came back to nursery two or three days after it happened.

• Like 1

I can see no reason at all to exclude the child. Once parents are happy to send him he should be included immediately.

Adjustments would need to be made, of course, but it's surprising how much they can do after a few days.

• Like 1

Hiya, we've currently got a little girl who has a broken leg in our reception class. We were quite worried about how it was going to work but it's actually been fine. She started in a wheel chair and she still goes in that for breaktimes and lunch times but during class time she uses a walking frame. She came back 4 days after she had done it after she had been to the fracture clinic. Her mum sent her into school when she felt ready. It's been interesting seeing how lovely the rest of the class have been about it, helping her, getting her things, moving chairs, etc out of the way! Good luck!

• Like 1

Thank you all! We didn't have broken leg before so every advice a experience helps. I was just worried about the child's safety with other children around. Our children are lovely and I'm sure they would be very caring. I sprained my ankle few years ago and I was quite worried about the little ones running around me for some time as it was very sensitive, but that's us grown-ups! :1b

Assuming the leg is in plaster I don't think you have anything to worry about. If the child is happy to move round and not scared of others touching them I'd just let them get on with it. There's not much can move a break once it's plastered so I'd just make sure I knew about any advice the parents had been given and do my best to help the child keep it clean and dry.

I think as adults we imagine a broken bone and focus on the possible pain whereas children just get on with what they want to do and forget about the break unless it hurts.

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)