Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

First Aider at work?

Hi, two of my staff are redoing their First Aid certs and they have been told that it is necessary to have someone with an adult First aid qualification / First Aider at work to cover any accidents to staff or parents while they are on our premises. I wondered if it was maybe for places with more staff - we only have 4 staff..... does anyone know about this?

Jo

We have three first aiders in total with two First aiders who hold both Paediatric First Aid and Emergency First Aid at Work Certificates. Our First Aid Trainer (LA authorised) said that the Paediatric First Aid Course was basically the same as the adult one with a bit tagged on specifically for children and therefore covered everything for the Emergency First Aid at Work certification. We had to pay an extra £5 / person for the Emergency First Aid at Work certificates.

I used to have all staff first aid trained but it is now far too costly.

I don't know if this HSE link is of any use to you

http://www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg214.pdf

all our staff are first aid trained - we use st johns ambulance for ours as they do paediatric training which also includes childhood illnesses and things like meningitis etc (course over over two full days) - it cost us £200 (i think) but that was for 12 people so well worth the money. it also included a bit on adult first aid - things like cpr, bandaging etc.

might be worth a look if you need training .

We have literally just completed our Paediatric first aid. The 12 hour course does cover adult resuscitation and so this covers adults in your workplace. Which area are you?

It is my understanding that you need 'first aid in the workplace' if you have more than 10 [?] employees.

I used to have it but stupidly let it run out and would have the redo whole course, once you have it you just need to do the update before the 3 years are up.

I'm more than happy to be corrected though :1b

Thanks for your replies and the link to the HSE. We're all first aid trained on the 12 hour courses arranged by county and that covers adults as well so I'm sure we're ok - think the trainer was trying to drum up more business for himself....

Guest sn0wdr0p

The first aider at work is a three day course and you need to risk assess whether you need someone with a first aid at work qualification or emergency first aid at work qualification. HSE guidance is that if you have a low risk environment and less than 25 employees an appointed person as opposed to FAW/EFAW qualification is sufficient.

In a routine inspection with a health and safety inspector they were happy with this - the only problem they found was that my policy on spillages did not say to use a dry mop after cleaning a floor with a wet mop!!!

It is my understanding that you need 'first aid in the workplace' if you have more than 10 [?] employees.

I used to have it but stupidly let it run out and would have the redo whole course, once you have it you just need to do the update before the 3 years are up.

Guest sn0wdr0p

There is plenty of information about this on the HSE website and there is also a first aid at work assessment tool on it which will identify whether you need an appointed person or a first aider.