Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Independent maths ideas

Hi,

I feel I am running out of ideas. I want my children to access the maths area more independently. Has anyone got any ideas in relation to addition and subtraction activities. I would love some inspiration.

A shop with real money.

Real vegetables and fruits.

Weighing scales.

Play-dough cakes with birthday candles.

Could you have a laminated sheet next to the activities to say.

Go to the shop and buy 3 potatoes and 3 apples label objects with price how much will that be.

You have £!!!! How much change should you have.

Can you make 6 cakes and give 2 to your friends how many are left.

Think you get the gist.

Sorry if this is too easy for them, we work with Pre-school aged children.

I'm sure someone will be along soon with some wonderful inspirational ideas.

Guest LornaW

Go on Twitter tonight between 8pm& 9pm they are discussing maths in EYs

@ShonetteBason: Don't forget #earlyyearsideas with @TESEarlyYears is tonight 8-9! Problem solving ideas for maths

LornaW

Go on Twitter tonight between 8pm& 9pm they are discussing maths in EYs

@ShonetteBason: Don't forget #earlyyearsideas with @TESEarlyYears is tonight 8-9! Problem solving ideas for maths

LornaW

Ooooh - wish I was a twit now! :blink: xD

Guest LornaW

thick question I know - but how does one actually twit?

I have an account - had it since it very first started.......but I've never actually worked out what it's all about!

You have to put in some names to follow so if you put in @shonettebason you will see all the conversations she has!

You can also put in a hash tag and see conversations so if you put in #EYTalking you will see last nights conversations

Good luck but it can become addictive!

LornaW

This is something I have found quite tricky also - encouraging children to initiate their own Maths skills and problem solving. I am not a tweeter sadly - Is there anyway you could copy and paste the discussion in this forum please? Would be kindly appreciated.

Thank you

• 2 weeks later...

if you are on TES they have uploaded the conversation here

http://www.tes.co.uk/teaching-resource/EarlyYearsIdeas-Maths-problem-solving-15-May-6334819/

or will try upload pdf doc

Slightly off topic- there's quite a few different ones that TES do such as learning outdoors, they look fab and great opportunity to share ideas- will def be keeping an eye on my twitter every Wed evening, I like a good distraction! :)

(woops uploaded wrong twitter convo!)

#earlyyearsideas_tweets_2013_05_15.xls

Edited by ExtraordinaryChicken

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)