Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning journey time

Mine get an hour a week - officially - but if time becomes available through the session, I suggest that they do a bit then if they need to. For example, on Wednesday afternoons we have a lot of older children who are in all day and have had a busy Preschool morning with me and are just having a 'chill' in the sand, or making railway tracks or whatever and don't want any interference, then two of us can monitor the room and interact as need be, and the other adult can do some paperwork for 15 mins or so.

I dont get any paid time currently - I manage the private nursery sessions, but the teacher I work with in the mornings in the maintained sessions gets half a morning!!!

From September the whole nursery will be "private" though run by governors and I have asked for a change in my hours to cover ALL the paperwork and admin duties!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also requested time to be built into my level 3 contracts! I may get half an hour a week for level 3's to start with as numbers are expected to be low.

Edited by Scarlettangel

i am in school nursery mornings only and have 1 1/2 hours a week, but just go out for 20-30 minutes as unqualified person covers me and one nursery nurse is elderly so feel sorry for my other nursery nurse who carries the other 2. we have 23 going to reception and 10 will still be in nursery next year, so 33 is a lot for her to deal with, with mixed ages in there. also one boy has behavioural issues and plays up when not kept an eye on. i have asked for each to be given time but been told no, as they are paid 15 mins before children arrive and half an hour after each day, so that's enough. they set up in the 15 mins before, and by the time so many children are collected, we've spoken to any parents and we've had a quick discussion of morning there are 10/15 mins left, which is not enough. and we plan one day. when it's my turn outside i try and get everyone out for a bit and give a bit of time then, but it's so unfair. if anyone goes out of classwe're out of ratio.

Pack away Pre-school

Mine used to get 1hour pay a week to do folders at home - due to lack of funds this year staff agreed not to be paid until we were 'breaking even' unfortunately we haven't hit that point this academic year so they are still not paid and they are now up to 10 children per key group :( not good :( cant see next year being any different either.

No time during the session as its sooooooo hectic!

Pack away Pre-school in one room with minimum staff.

No time to attempt folders during session time, any paid time before and after session is used for packing away. A lot of 'goodwill' from staff.Have pointed out to management that if staff refuse to do unpaid work at home, then there is nothing I can do about it. Too much expectation for early years staff to give up their time for free.

I dont get any paid time currently - I manage the private nursery sessions, but the teacher I work with in the mornings in the maintained sessions gets half a morning!!!

From September the whole nursery will be "private" though run by governors and I have asked for a change in my hours to cover ALL the paperwork and admin duties!!!!!!!!!!!

I have also requested time to be built into my level 3 contracts! I may get half an hour a week for level 3's to start with as numbers are expected to be low.

how come your nursery is going private if currently a school one? is this a way of getting rid of the teacher to save money?

Hi Sooty 99

I suppose in a way it is!!

HOWEVER for the past 3 years numbers in nursery have been low and there certainly has not been enough money coming in to pay the wages!

We have had a change of management and any decision making was put off and off until this year.

We are not the only maintained nursery to be shutting in our area either!

Crumbs, that's a bit short-sighted, isn't it? I thought we were meant to be at the start of a 'baby boom' attendance? We are certainly seeing numbers rising and our mornings are almost full already next year. I was told that it's due to 'One Born' TV programme!!!

Hi Sooty 99

I suppose in a way it is!!

HOWEVER for the past 3 years numbers in nursery have been low and there certainly has not been enough money coming in to pay the wages!

We have had a change of management and any decision making was put off and off until this year.

We are not the only maintained nursery to be shutting in our area either!

Maybe there's hope after all for some of us PVI who are really struggling due to low numbers!

Maintained are full to capacity in our area, but at the cost of PVI settings that are going under at a great rate of knots :(