Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Tidying up

Melba

Our OOSC has had a visit from our LA Advisor (first time in years) and she said that we were wrong to make children tidy up after themselves as Playwork says that play should not be interrupted for anything ever. Only adults should tidy anything. Personally I think this is awful. Play should still include an element of respect for others and the resources you are using. Certainly the younger children at nursery are encouraged to tidy after themselves and no adviser has ever objected to that.

What do others think about this?

I also agree. I've done some teaching about Playwork and one of the big things I focused on was getting children to take ownership of the space and the play. But that definitely includes taking reponsibility for the resources and tidying up.

I completely agree. Part of playing is tidying up, whether it's in a group setting or at home. I wonder what parents would think if there children told them they must be left to play and adults will do all the tidying up!

• Like 2

With an attitude like that Melba, perhaps no one has ever been ABLE to tell her anything!!!

I hadnt realised a playwork degree gave you an untouchable status!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thats what I should have done instead of EYPS!!!!!!

Maybe she has been out of real life practice TOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO long!

• 1 year later...

We run an after school club and holiday club and we always get the children to tidy up. We also get them to do the hoovering and they love it!!! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)