Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Learning journeys for parents?

Can I just ask what happens to children's learning journeys in your settings?

In previous schools I've worked in they had gone home to parents in the end, when the children finish in year 1 so their new teacher had them for the first year after reception and then to parents.

My current school file them all in a loft...

It seems a terrible shame.

E x

We're a day nursery. When our children move on to school we have to pass their Learning Journeys directly on to the schools This is part of the terms and conditions of our early years funding and our local authority are strict about it. When the reception teachers have finished with them, they give them back to parents to keep.

We make it very clear to parents that their child's Learning Journey is their property and they must ask the school to give it back if they haven't got it by the October half term (unless the school has a reason to hold onto it).

It does mean that at the end of the summer term I am doing a fair few miles in the car with stacks of Learning Journeys to take to the schools. We're in a small rural town so feed a lot of different schools.

• Like 1

We are pre-school, we also make parents aware that we are only the custodians of these books for the time the children are with us. However, when they leave us to go to primary we give them to the parents. It is up to them if the schools get to see them. I forward to schools our final assessment/report of the children and get parents' agreement in writing to do that.

I think it is an awful shame to just store these learning journeys away, what's the point of that? Our learning journeys are in A4 ringbinder folders - don't think I would want to store too many of those in any event! If the school doesn't need them any longer and are just storing them, they should be given back to the parents.

• Like 1

Yes we give ours to parents too. We suggest that parents might like to share with the child's school.

What a waste of time and precious memories of that child's time with us, which includes lots of lovely photographs to put them in a loft.

That's really sad.:)

• Like 1

We believe that it is the child's property, so I goes home when they like, they put in it what they want and so therefore keep it when they leave

• Like 1

My thoughts exactly Fredbear :( it's such a waste and all of those precious pictures...

I want to try to change this but not sure how to approach the subject.

Thanks for your thoughts guys, it's reassuring to know that my thoughts are in line with others :)

Ours must be passed onto school, we also feed into various schools

some look at them over the summer hols and return to parents in September -

some keep until October half term - I personally think this is best, by then they are collecting their own evidence

some keep for the whole of reception year - dont get this as by the October surely the teacher would have taken what is of interest to them?!

ours are not given to parents. have told parents to ask head when they can have them as it feels like such a waste and they are a lovely keepsake. so many memories. some of the children are with us 5 terms - a LOT of photos

Guest LornaW

Our learning journeys went on throughout the school so YR > Y1 > Y2 then home. We did try to persuade our junior sch to have them at least for the first half term to see how chn had progressed but...

What a complete waste to put them in the loft! I would argue they are for transition and AfL and when no longer needed they are the prperty of the child and family!

Good luck!

LornaW

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)