Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

simple number recognition assessment activity

Hi all, sorry haven't been around recently- this PGCE course has well and truely taken over my life- as expected of course lol. Anyway my Year 2 placement went well (I didn't particularly feel I excelled but came out with lots of v v positive feedback so must have done something right!) but missed my play and the EYFS so much! Luckily, am back in Reception for my last placement (yay!) I need your help though please- I have to assess and then support a child with his counting (numbers to 10) with short simple activities over a week for uni piece of work to demonstrate our impact on learning, etc (albeit it will be v limited over the course of a week).

Anyway am really overthinking this and struggling to come up with an effective assessment activity to initially assess number recognition 0-10. The ch is 'typical boy' who likes trains/ farm etc his teacher says, and they are currently exploring the farm topic so was thinking of basing it around this- was perhaps thinking keep it simple with just using no. cards and farm items- can he recognise the no. on the card and then can he count xxx amount of cows/ tractors/ etc but is this an effective assess activity?

I think as I haven't been in eyfs for a term I have lost a bit of confidence, and when being in Year 2 there was obviously a lot of emphasis on paperwork/ evidence so this is confusing me somewhat and think I am overthinking this! I want the activity to be more meaningful and engaging as he has limited attention span (as a lot of 5 year olds have if any activity is boring!!!)

What would you clever folks suggest???

Many thanks!

Number recognition for me is reading the numeral. I have often done this by writing the numerals at random and getting the child to tell me the name. You then have a written record and something to work with again if needed.

I would then look at sequencing them.(you could put the carriages on a train) I would also want to know that the child can say the number names in order ie does he know the counting order.

Then I would move to matching objects to the numeral, you could do this with the farm as you suggest.

Take photos of the child engaging in the activity as your evidence record.

Then I would be looking at how the child writes the numerals as this can sometimes give you a clue re any dificulties.

Have fun!

Thanks Susan! Just what I needed! - was over complicating it, will keep the assessment simple and use that to base my planning along with the progression you have identified.

Thank you again for your help :1b

Make up some fields for animals and puta numeral in each one and a picture of an animal. So in her you can put five cows, in here two pigs and so on. Can he match numeral to quantity. If you show him a five, can he do that many bounces on the trampoline, or whatever.

Did simple assessment using flashcards and his recognition 0-10 was quite poor when seeing them randomly and no confidence with lots of looks to me/ peers for confirmation. So need to go right back to basics with lots of repetition with him but I like Cait's idea to reinforce what the numeral represents- the whole point of having numerals ^_^

Why not play a game where he can count and score - then record. he will use his numbers more actively then.

As Susan says be clear about your assessment - is it just number recognition, or understanding quantity, in which case its the numeral as a descriptor of the amount.

cx

Thank you catma, it was number recognition so yes using understanding that the numeral 5 represents the quantity of five, etc. It was only a week long task for uni so little progression shown due to such small time scale but there has been a little which is positive. Just a shame you can't be superhuman and do that for every child for every area they need support with hey! ^_^

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)