Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

sensory driven 3 year old.....ideas needed please!

I have a very sensory driven 3 year old at my setting, he tips resources from every box, scatters toys and is quite disruptive, I have referred him to the team in our area who support settings, they came in to assess him and our play plan consists of lots of sensory activities that should channel his fascinations better, I have a lot of plastic bottles filled with various materials, tipping and pouring activities, musical instruments for tapping and banging....sand and water etc but need more ideas! its the sounds and sights of things tipping and textures like glitter that get his attention, ( he also has issues with repetitive movement and rocking and head banging) Thank you in advance! :)

Treasure baskets filled with anything you can get your hands on. Brushes, scoureres, velvet, felt, sand paper, silk, faux fur, corregated card, rope, bubble wrap, newspaper, bean bags...

• Like 1

Treasure baskets filled with anything you can get your hands on. Brushes, scoureres, velvet, felt, sand paper, silk, faux fur, corregated card, rope, bubble wrap, newspaper, bean bags...

thanks, will be collecting all sorts of textures! :)

and the best bit is it won't cost anything lol ( if you catch me in b+q tearing bits of textured wall paper off the rolls its cause I am redecorating right?) lol

• Like 1

thanks, will be collecting all sorts of textures! :)

and the best bit is it won't cost anything lol ( if you catch me in b+q tearing bits of textured wall paper off the rolls its cause I am redecorating right?) lol

Oh my lips are sealed :)

• Like 1

try a rainmaker? £6 or so. amazon have lots. sand timers/gel timers etc are what a similar boy at ours likes. and shaving foam, gloop etc

You could get him a 'Sit and move' cushion for carpet time to help his drive to rock.

Give him heavy objects like bean bags to hold or put on his lap to help sitting too and a small weighted rucksack might help him too.

This video might help too

• Like 2

there was a thread on here a few years ago about sensory/discovery bottles - might help...he gets the movement/sound and you get less mess! We were told that they could also be used as a reward system for some children too

Edited by gingerbreadman

• 2 weeks later...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)