Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm newly registered and need some advice please

I am looking after a baby 3 full days a week and now i have a parent who wants just one full day a week.

My question is, is it a good idea just having a child for one day? I want to have a maximum of 3 children a day, i'm worried that if i take the child for one day it might stop me from

being able to have someone who wants all week? Any advice is greatly appreciated.

This is your call. Personally I think a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush but I work part time and only term time. Not so fussed if all my places are full. It could be worth getting together with a friend with similar values so that you can be more flexible. Sorry notch help. Good luck.

Honey.

Hi and a very warm welcome to the forum! :1b

One of my staff members is also a child minder - she has 'lots' of children all on different days and at different times - i.e. some before school, some after pre-school but picked up by 3pm and then some others after school - works well for her........although i have no idea how she keeps track of who she is supposed be having when :blink: xDxDxD

• Like 1

Hi Im a child minder too. I started off thinking I would have 3 full timers and have all my spaces full but it just doesnt work like that. You will find that a lot of people need part time.

Is there any way that the child needing 1 day can come on a different day to the 3 day child? Then between them they are taking up 4days of a full time place. I would be tempted to take them on anyway as you may find someone else comes along wanting 3 days which fits etc. Dont hold out for full timers as you wont be making any money in the meantime. You still have a full time place left at the minute anyway.

If someone comes along wanting full time care and the only thing stopping you is a child taking up 1 day, you can give that child notice and take on the full timer. Not very fair but you are running a business!

You do find that you can be full and turning people away and then at other times, children leave for various reasons (moving up to school, moving house, grandparent looking after them) and you are left with less work.

Good luck. Its the hardest job Ive ever done but also the most rewarding!

I quite like lots of different children. It allows you to repeat activities/outings etc with different children throughout the week. Plus you are not keeping all your eggs in one basket, if one child leaves its a minimal loss of income rather than if you had say 2 fulltimer siblings.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi there,

This is such a difficult decision to make. Id take a 'one day a week' on a Friday. In my area most mums take Friday off and make a long weekend of it. :D

All my once off children are really delightful, and Id not be without any of them.

As you become better known in the area you will be able to pick and choose more. Dont forget that your young children will soon be over 3 years of age, and you will be able to fill up with younger children again.

Have fun and enjoy your children

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)