Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

UPDATE on the Key Person

KEY PERSON APPROACH   

39 members have voted

1. 1. DOES YOUR SETTING OPERATE A KEY PERSON APPROACH?

• YES
    • NO
  2. 2. DO YOU FEEL THE KEY PERSON APPROACH SUPPORTS OBSERVATIONS?

• YES
    • NO
  3. 3. DO YOU FEEL THE KEY PERSON APPROACH SUPPORTS NEW CHILDREN TO SETTLE?

• YES
    • NO
  4. 4. DO YOUR KEY CHILDREN'S PARENTS SEEK YOU OUT IF THEY HAVE SOMETHING TO DISCUSS?

• YES
    • NO
    • SOMETIMES
  5. 5. HOW WOULD YOU DECRBIE YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH YOUR KEY CHILDREN?

• SECURE
    • CHANGE-ABLE
    • UNSECURE
    • UNSURE
  6. 6. ON A DAILY BAIS, HOW OFTEN DO YOU HAVE 1-2-1 TIME WITH YOUR KEY CHILDREN?

• OFTEN
    • SOMETIMES
    • ONCE/TWICE
    • NEVER
  7. 7. DO YOU FEEL THE KEY PERSON APPROACH IMPROVES YOUR PRACTICE?

• YES
    • NO

Hi Everyone

I previously asked peoples views on the Key Person Approach and how it effects your daily practice, thanks very much to those who replied.

I am happy to say that on Monday I integrated the Island of Intimacy which was a focused time solely for Key Person and Key Children.

Initially it was only meant to last 10mins and will eventually be a time for practitioners to help their key children develop and complete next steps.

Well so far it’s a hit with staff and more importantly the children!! I observed that after 10mins the children and staff were so engaged in their groups that Island Time ran over to more of a 30min session!!

Children now know their Key Persons name and are asking when Island Time is!! A very sweet two year old actually approach her Key Person and ask for her Nappy to be changed, a revelation as previously she would scream when being changed!

Ive encouraged the staff to take written observations but not to focus so much on them that they are not engaging the children and so far we have numerous next steps and areas of interest to bring into the nursery room for group activities, which I plan for staff to use at Monthly Planning meetings.

Staff currently seem happy and moral is high, but I know there will be bumps and the current Senior is questioning “how long” they have to follow this practice.

This is where is need your help.

For my report I have to evaluate practice in regards to the Theory of Practice, and I must give supporting and conflicting evidence to justify my final claims.

Can you answer the poll as honestly as possible and give a brief summary of the pro’s or cons for the Key Person Approach in your setting giving me qualitative data for my research?

As mentioned before everything is confidential and will be used and stored under the data protection act 1998.

Thank You!

Hi our setting find the key-person approach a vital requirement for early attachments for all children, but especially the youngest children. It provides a warm, secure, enriched environment to enable all the children to flourish in our care.

That said I also feel in time it is also important for all children to build relationships with other adults too. Especially if staff are off sick etc.

That's why we are called a team.:)

Good luck with this, please do come back and let us know your findings. :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)