Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

mud kitchen

I would like to create a mud kitchen in my outside area after Easter.

Does anyone have any useful tips re how to set it up effectively, managing mess, resources used and photos to give me a starting handle

all comments and ideas gladly welcomed

Thanking you in advance

Guest sn0wdr0p

I went on Goole images and just used the term mud kitchen and got loads of fantastic ideas. I think this topic was looked at a few months ago on here as well.

And to think when I was a child I just stole a pot out of dads shed, dug some soil out of the garden, added rain water, rose petals, sawdust and anything else on the garden/shed floor and used the sloping lid of the compost heap as my table top.....who knew if could be so involved and expensive :(

• Like 1

i know what you mean, but it really doesn't need to be expensive. We asked parents and were given three Belfast sinks and an old range cooker, loads of pots and pans, spoons etc. All we paid for were some railway sleepers to contain the area.

• Like 1

And to think when I was a child I just stole a pot out of dads shed, dug some soil out of the garden, added rain water, rose petals, sawdust and anything else on the garden/shed floor and used the sloping lid of the compost heap as my table top.....who knew if could be so involved and expensive :(

I think the whole idea is that it isn't expensive....all the ideas really come from recycling just like we did as a child. The only reason i am getting the gardener to do something is that he has been given some pallets which we are chopping up to make a table top. In Jan's book it suggests that the items should be forraged from parents etc not bought as new.......you obviously haven't seen pre-schools garden its full of recycled, reused,reapproriated stuff! xD

ours has been created from old tables - we got new ones - pots and pans from parents and community - we use old paint bottles for filling up with water and sand from sand pit and compost which is situated in old tyre next to kitchen - we will be adding to it but for now it has been done quickly and the children love it

i ha the mud kitchen book, its great. We decided to creat one

we asked for donations from parents

we have milk crates x4 to make the base a worj top sits on top

we had a selection of real untensils, bottles with lids, spoons, suacepans, ice cube trays, old tupperware

a microwave

although now we will have to plant our veg elsewhere, if it is too survive all that cooking, mixing stirring and making potions that goes on in the kitchen:)

great fun

I was inspired to create a mud kitchen following a thread on here a few weeks ago, and we all love it! We have a resident mole, so I simply put spoons near the latest mole hill with a bowl, add a bowl of water and off they go. I have sourced pans, ladles, colanders, sieves etc from a recycle type place nearby for pennies, and parents have also contributed. Today I was treated to a full roast dinner, complete with roast potatoes (pebbles) broccoli (grass) and gravy, followed by chocolate pudding "with real chocolate bits in" (lumps of mud)! Fabulous! It has really enhanced the children's play outdoors and the communication and language, and PSED through working together and sharing of resources has been wonderful!

• Like 1

I really love this and have had lots of it happen spontaneously in the garden in the past. Lots of terrific learning but what an unholy mess? I'm finding lots of this sort of play happening with sand (outside of course) which causes me (and the parents) lots less grief and anxiety. Am I missing a trick? Is there something marvellous about earth that can't be gained from sand? I never thought I was so uptight!

Honey

And we aren't allowed on our grass yet as it is still too damp - landlord rules! :D

It does make me very jealous when i see all these lovely things, but being in a rented church hall there is no way on earth we would be allowed to do these things. It was taken to their committee for them to agree, for us to have 2 pots for planting in which we could leave in the garden and not pack away each day ;)

• Like 3

Pancakes, sand is only gritty but mud has musicality - it squelches and squerches, it blows bubbles and smears xD :lol: xD :lol: !!!

And we aren't allowed on our grass yet as it is still too damp - landlord rules! :D

It does make me very jealous when i see all these lovely things, but being in a rented church hall there is no way on earth we would be allowed to do these things. It was taken to their committee for them to agree, for us to have 2 pots for planting in which we could leave in the garden and not pack away each day ;)

we pack away too, in

a rented church hall

Hi all,

I have recently set up a mud kitchen - the children love it! We have two microwave ovens, a breadbin with a rolling lid, lots of pans and utensils. I found this great poem by John Smith and have printed it out in brown ink on creamy paper, laminated it and stuck it onto the fence:

Mud

I like mud.

I like it on my clothes.

I like it on my fingers,

I like it on my toes.

Dirt's pretty ordinary

And dust's a dud.

For a really good mess-up

I like mud.

John Smith

Edited by Phoebe123
  • Like 1

hi all we have a mud kitchen right next to our mud pit and next to the water wall...kitchen is positioned in the middle! we have used spares from indoors that we had in the adult kitchen and an old sink and let the children go wild...will post a pic tomorrow when i get in to work :-)

• Like 1

We have started using mud too as an outdoor activity. We have an old table with lots of kitchen utensils (Metal tea pot, cake tins, cup cake cases, sieve, wooden spoons etc) Our teacher brings mud from home or we often use sand if there is no mud available. The kids love it and they are totally engaged in what they are doing. We want to create a permanent mud kitchen and are looking at plans as regards where it can be situated etc. We have had no complaints thus far as regards the children going home slightly filthier than normal. It certainly made us sit up and start thinking a lot more creatively.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)