Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Who decides your pay?

Hello everyone. I'm not sure if I'm being a little oversensitive so would like your opinions please......

I have been asking the committee for some time to look at a pay increase for staff, as it is 2 years since we had one. I feel this should be an agenda item annually, so that even if there is deemed to be no money for an increase, at least it is discussed. This is now scheduled to be discussed at the next committee meeting, however committee members have been asked to bring a friend to this particular meeting as we need new committee members, and I'm not really happy about my pay being discussed in front of just anyone.

I think this should really be decided by the committee chair and treasurer, and put to other committee members for approval. It is after all a confidential matter. Just wondered what others think, and how this is done in other committee run settings.

• Like 2

Only chair and treasurer discuss pay rises( and then report to committee whether has or hasn't been awarded but not hourly rates).....some years ago I decided I wasn't happy for 12-15 people to discuss what I should or shouldnt be paid an hour, I didn't know what they earn, and I'm not convinced things remain confidential when that many people know something, especially when they move on from settings.

You can have your committee bring a friend, have a 'normal' meeting and then ask all non committee members to leave- as the next part is closed or perhaps do it the other way around. Discuss any 'closed' business then have it open to others. Even if you are not discussing a rate of pay you really should not have non committee members there when discussing any aspect of staff issues.

However as others have said we do it by a meeting with me (as manager) chair, sec & treasurer.

We are no longer committee run but when we were, pay matters were only discussed by the Manager, Chair and Treasurer. It was always discussed as part of the end of year June/July planning ready for September. The whole committee would only see the overall staff costs in the accounts - never hourly rates or individual salaries.

we are committee run and when pay rises are being discussed it is on the agenda as "restricted business" so only committee are present - the actual decision for pay rises would have already been discussed by book keeper,treasurer and chair person - the whole committee are then asked to vote on the rises x

We adopted the las test PLA constitution which means staff can go on the committee, so myself as manager and a Pre-school assistant are committee members so I definitely wouldn't have pay as part of the general meeting. It is Manager, Chair, Treasurer & secretary who make the decision for us - not that there is anything to discuss really, we all had to have a pay cut last September, and we won't be given a rise this year either, except if minimum wage goes up and then 2 people will have too!

Guest Spiral

Just a cautious note, our committee decided a few years ago to award pay increases - (a lovely gesture), however they did not consider the future of the pre-school and whether it was financially viable.

I had to look into the finances and put it to them that this could not work. It would have been much easier if they had done this by discussion with myself (manager) as well as the treasurer, chair and the administrator. Unfortunately they told the staff first!

All sorted now, but ensure communication is at the forefront.

Spiral :-)