Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Deranged meerkat moment!

Hi,

Just wondering whether anyone else changes their behaviour when they are being observed or an 'important' person comes into their setting?

I can be quite happily interacting with an individual or group of children, but seem to turn into a deranged meerkat when other people come in - whether it is to observe me formally or coming in for another reason. I seem to avoid sitting down and constantly scan the room! <_<

Just as a side thought - during CI time do you have an idea of how many children you would like to interact with or just go with the flow, accepting that each day will be different and with 2 staff we just have to do the best we can?

Green Hippo x

Green Hippo - I become very conscious of how I sound/talk to children. Not that there is anything wrong with the way I talk to children normally but sometimes in the course of a day I just take a moment or two to just watch and take in what they are doing and how they are doing it. If someone is in my room I feel like I must be seen to be interacting with children every second there is.

My head once told me that he learned as much about a teacher by being outside their classroom door during a lesson as he did by doing an official observation.

• Like 2

I used to have a boss who didn't believe you were working unless you were walking round the room. She once shouted across the room to me to 'do some work'. At the time I was sitting in the home corner with a wok on my head, a table cloth round my shoulders and was having my hair cut with a knife and spoon! I was still training at the time and her comment confused me! I still think a person with real understanding would always recognise when you were interacting how you should so I've never felt self conscious playing. I know what I'm doing and if the person observing, for whatever reason, doesn't, then its too bad! :)

• Like 1

Guest mukerjee1

Reminds me of a recent pre-school visit to a local wildlife park. Upon spotting a clan of meerkats one tot piped up 'Look there's a group of simples'. 'Yes', replied his friend 'and they is nuddy - where's their dressing gowns and ties?

Reminds me of a recent pre-school visit to a local wildlife park. Upon spotting a clan of meerkats one tot piped up 'Look there's a group of simples'. 'Yes', replied his friend 'and they is nuddy - where's their dressing gowns and ties?

Hahahaha, that's priceless!! :-D

Green Hippo - I become very conscious of how I sound/talk to children. Not that there is anything wrong with the way I talk to children normally but sometimes in the course of a day I just take a moment or two to just watch and take in what they are doing and how they are doing it. If someone is in my room I feel like I must be seen to be interacting with children every second there is.

My head once told me that he learned as much about a teacher by being outside their classroom door during a lesson as he did by doing an official observation.

I always feel I am thinking about what I say ( whereas I would usually just say it!!). I also think I am inclined to ramble(more than usual!) and go progressively redder in the face! :huh:

We tend to feel we need to show evidence of assessment (eg writing notes!)going on during an obs, but at a recent meeting someone suggested that observers think that writing things down is not the thing to be seen to be doing - you should be extending learning in that time whilst ensuring every single child is engaged - beware the wanderers!!! :rolleyes:

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)