Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Help! Unsociable habits

Does anyone have any top tips for stopping children from picking their noses? :( Sorry about this post, not the nicest to read, but things are getting desperate - no matter what I say or how I explain, I just can't seem to stop this horrible habbit; I have about 6 or 7 children who whilst sitting on the carpet (or indeed during any activity), have their finger up their nose and then wipe it in their clothes, on the carpet or on the furniture :o!! PLEASE HELP - ALL ADVICE WELCOME. ;)

I deal with this a bit like the way I deal with hands down trousers.

I consistently and persistently send them to get a tissue to blow their nose and then send them to wash their hands...every single time. I then send them to get a clean tissue for next time. They eventually get sick of having to wash their hands and start using their tissue appropriately.

• Like 2

Thanks everyone!

Upsy Daisy, I do this - but perhaps not as consistently as I should; sometimes we're in mid flow singing and by the end of the song the child has finished 'the business' and joining in nicely ;) so I let the moment pass without comment - perhaps I need to stop the song and direct the child to the tissues!

Wellerkaren, I'll give Dirty Bertie a go and thanks for the 'picky problem' Panders - I'll try that too, it should prompt whole group discussion. :1b

hands on your head, hands behind your back, fold your hands together and put them in your lap ! may work or failing that how about giving the children a fiddle toy whilst sitting for longer periods or a peg for their nose - no fingers can get up there then :D that last bit was a joke

• Like 1

I wish it were as easy as that! My son constantly has his finger up his nose and then in his mouth. I make him wash his hands, wipe his nose etc but it makes no difference. Nursery do the same on the days he goes there I think. He's 2.5 years old.

I do love Get Well Soon though. The poo song is my favouite!

I used to get the children to all get rid of their fidgets before story time and modelled hands in laps when we had finished shaking off our fidgets and I read 'Don't do that' by Tony Ross alot...in this story Nellie has a stunningly pretty nose, but she just can't resist picking it! Finally she goes too far up and her finger gets stuck! Everyone has a go at prising her finger out, from firemen to scientists, but this only makes Nellie's nose longer, sorer and uglier! Can anyone get Nellie's finger free?

Once finished used to talk about what a unhygienic thing nose picking is etc

• Like 1