Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

world book day

Hi all

just thinking about world book day and wondered what everyone would be doing for a nursery setting? Also how do people feel about children coming as a superhero e.g. batman/spiderman etc It seems inevitable that a great deal of children come in these costumes a) because they love the character and B) it is very convenient for the parent/s? Although there is a tenuous link to reading material - comics - it is after all book day. Just wondered if anyone has any feelings about this?

• ... and girls come as disney princesses :) Only way around this is too pick a specific book and say they have to come dressed as a character from that, but always those who will ignore the suggection. I read a great book called if I had a sailboat. the children in the book use their imagination to build a boat, train and rocket. We built role play areas and then had a day when the children had to come as a pirate, astronaut or train driver.

Guest rainyjaney

Thinking back to when my kids were little -they're both at uni now- and how much I would have dreaded having to make/buy something like this!!! The stress would have just about finished me off! I would say encourage other characters but dont out right ban Superheroes. Mind you, I would say this my son is studying illustration and has a special interest in graphic novels! I live in hop he'll go down a more Quentin Blake or Emily Gravett pathway!!!

Rather than asking them to dress up perhaps you could just get them to bring in their favourite book and perhaps a toy relating to that book? In my experience of dressing up most children come dressed as film characters, mostly because parents are able to buy these costumes and they don't want the bother or stress of trying to make something.

• Like 1

last year we focused on bedtime stories - set up inflatable beds , duvets etc and invited children and parents to share their favourite stories and children came in pyjamas - one of the dads arrived in his pj's and dressing gown to - nursery ryhmes are a good way to steer away from superheroes - my daughter once went as mary mary with watering can - basket of bells and shells - maybe that could be a suggestion to your parents and children

• 2 weeks later...
Guest katylouise1984

Wow I totally agree' cant cope with a room full of Ben tens!!!

Were going to go to a bookshop if that helps anyone's plans?

Go to the library?

We are going to have a story session and invite parents!

I'll be back with more ideas hopefully :)

I am loving the idea of come in your pj's, might have to borrow that one if you don't mind.

We have often linked it with a visit from the librarians from the local library. Invite parents in to share storytelling and rhyme time with them. Or we have walked down to the town and had storytelling in the library.

We often do come and share a book, story, lots of times throughout the year, this also includes inviting grandparents.

• Like 1

of course I don't mind FB thats what why we share our ideas on here - I know a lot of the school parents get fed up as school does book week before and often a theme not easily done - so we are having ours during book day week - going with the Nursery rhyme idea this year and each day having a different nursery rhyme theme - inviting parents in to read and a bring and buy book sale too

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)