Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Long and Medium term planning

please can someone give me a bit of advice. We have always planned on a weekly basis using next steps on observations as guidance for our planning for the following week. Planning is carried out on an individual basis. We haven't had a long or medium term plan apart from noting what festivals/celebrations take place each month, when reports are due, parents evening etc. We have an overall basic room planner which covers the 7 areas of learning and allows us to set the room up each day, adapting and adding where needed across the week.

What should we be doing long and medium term planning wise if anything??

Appreciate any views on this!

Thanks

:blink:

Long term, I imagine, is that you want your children to achieve the goals set out in the EYFS, so you don't need to reinvent the wheel there! Medium term is your general idea of what you might like to look at generally over the term, whether you want to explore frogspawn or grow some plants or whatever. Keep it loose and flexible. It sounds like you are doing great things already

• Like 1

For me, long term planning is how you implement the EYFS, and will cover things like your ethos, and values. eg what you believe about free play; routines; relationships with parents; how you put in place your key person approach etc,,the list goes on. What you believe about early years practice will come through everything you do, from how you plan to what you observe and why; from how you make on entry profiles to how you value diversity; from what your snack time looks like to how your environment is set up' . All of it happens for a reason, and all of it reflects what you actually think about early years practice, even if you don't realise it.

Thank you all for your comments and advice - really useful. my understanding for long term was the eyfs development matters and working towards achieving the goals. Cait the reason for looking at this is because the baby unit is part of a School and they would like us all to be in line with same planning formats across the birth to 5 age range, which can be a struggle at times. Has anyone who works with 0-2.5 year olds got any examples they wouldn't mind sharing of medium/long term? Thanks again x

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)