Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Daily trips

I am setting up a new day nursery which does not have an outside area yet (we will have a roof garden) but I am planning to take the children out daliy on trips around the local area. We are located close to the beach, park, shops and local farm. Does any one have any advise as to how to organise daily tips and what I may need to take with me? Thank you

We have a backpack ready for trips with a travel first aid kit (that has all bits you may need in it - check through) A copy of that sessions register, two phones on different networks (two so if one doesn't get reception the other may), emergency phone numbers, disposable gloves are always handy, tissues, set of unisex spare clothes, wipes, camera (if you have parent permission to take pics), paper and pens, binoculars. The children have a mini backpack each that they put in any toys and bits they want to take with them, in summer they take their suncreams and glasses etc, in winter it's wellies and gloves etc. All staff and children wear Hi viz jackets too.

Good idea to risk assess your trip beforehand although sometimes as you go is the only way, if doing it often do a general risk assessment that will not change each time you go with the actions you will take to counteract the risks and then just add a footnote for any extra risks you may encounter on the day.

Need to get parent permission for outings that are local when you start, not each trip but an overseeing I give permission for X to be taken on daily local trips sort of letter. I would let parents know via a notice where you are going each day so they know, display on your notice board.

Erm probably missed something very obvious but hope this helps!

As a childminder I have always been out and about but I must admit I have tightened up my practice quite a bit of late after a parent at my children's school, who is also a teacher, tore strips off my school's head because, although they had general permission to take children out on short journeys, had not specifically let all parents know when the year 3 teacher planned a walk out to view our new school site - a five minute walk away. Head subsequently went out on the sick until she retires next week, throwing school into complete turmoil. I now only take children on outings, other than school and shops, without having parents sign in the morning. No more, 'let's go to the park - which one would you like to go to?', 'Oh you're a bit tired, let's hop on that bus' etc., 'Let's pop to Seven Stories for one last time before you turn four'. Fun fun fun! :mellow:

• 2 weeks later...

we also tie in ad hoc trips to local areas when an interest occurs, so one small group of children where playing shops constantly so we took them to the local shop, which had grat meaaning to that particular group. we also go to the library

we find going out in smaller groups is more beneficial to the learning level of the children.

we are one over the ratio in the setting anyway, we use parent helpers, we usually plan for the week so i ask for helpers in.

2 weeks before we took small groups to post letters to santa, these children went with their key person and one other, i dont find it a problem.