Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Slippery Decking in our outdoor play area !

We have a lot of decking in our outdoor play area and it has become so slippery when wet that we are currently avoiding letting the children play out ( wrong i know, but the chance of a child having a bad fall is too much of a risk). We cannot avoid the decking as it leads from the doors all the way to the play area.

Has anyone successfully treated their decking with anything to make it none slip and child friendly ??? We power wash the wood and it was treated with non slip paint on treatment, but to no avail. Its not just a winter problem either !!

Help !! :blink:

our commitee painted ours with some sort of non-slip paint that they use on the decks of boats ! -it has little tiny bits of sand in it....seemed to work....but it began to flake off after 18 months ( may not of prepared the surface properly before painting tho )

then the next commitee used a non slip paint that doesnt have any grit in it....and its awful, the water sits on top of it....and freezes !!

luckily we only have a little decking near our entrance....the rest is tarmac.....out head wanted to completly deck our outside space and we refused as ww are worried about the slippyness

We had a wooden ramp up to the front door in our old building, & had the boat paint on it, which was brilliant, though it did need re doing every so often - I think yearly is best for safety, & it lets you plan to do it at a convenient time (ie, summer hols!)

I'd say sand it for now though.

going to be cheeky now and use your post to get help for my problem!! we have had a new surface put down on one side of our garden - the side that we use to access the garden, unfortunately. it is springy rubber and when there is any frost it becomes incredibly slippy but concrete side is fine. caretaker grits a walkway for parents to walk into nursery, but rest is not safe to use, so we are using cones to make a safe path to concrete bit. this is hard as some children haven't got the hang of this (cones), and we are having more children starting after christmas, and i guess they'll be confused too as younger? any idaes??

Can you borrow a car jet wash thingy ( the Karcher/similar jet wash machine) to wash it..............the pub next door does that and it works a treat; gets rid of all the mould/slime/muck build up and makes it like new again. Otherwise, don't B&Q, or the places that sell decking also sell stuff you can scrub it with.

Failing all of that, either ensure the children are wearing wellies ( they shouldn't slip then?), or organise a 'stay and scrub' session, where you go to it with plenty of scrubbing brushes?

Our decking is new ...and yes very slippy at the moment. We brush it daily to try and keep the organic matter down and the gardener jet sprays it which all helps but in the summer we will treat it with anti slip stuff (you cant do it in the first year because it doesn't absorb apparently!) Currently we have several rubber backed mats which we use to form a path to the garden which is fine as long as we bring the mats in over night.....or they are frozen and slippy the next morning! And no wellies dont stop you slipping...even my heavy duty Karrimoor boots couldn't cope this week!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)