Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

parent request no water activitiers in cold weather

A parent has written to me today- what do you think of it? can you help me in replying?

'I love that the children play outside but is there any chance the water activities could be put away till it gets warmer please? It's far too cold for little ones to be wet in the garden. Many thanks.' :angry:

I love this forum there is always someone to turn to! :D

What has prompted her letter? Has there been an incident with this child re getting wet. I have to say I'm all for water play and for getting out in all weathers but today it was -3 in my outside area and I've not had water out for the past week or so as the children havn't been choosing it because they get too cold too quickly with hands in cold water. I have my water inside instead. I kind of agree with her, there are so many other things they could be doing outside.

Deb

Little hands do get cold very quickly when wet in this weather but children are usually pretty good at deciding if something isn't comfortable. I have had small children in good thick winter clothes playing with pieces of ice with bare hands. If the rest of their body is warm their hands stay warmer too. Could you suggest that this mum makes sure she provides a really good quality winter outfit if she's concerned?

Also you could put warm water outside. I have also been know to put big stones outside which have been sitting on a heater for the children to warm their hands on.

You can reassure her that your staff are vigilant for children getting cold and there is always a warm room and a dry towel available.

• Like 3

Our children haven't had 'water play' as such but they had a ball out in the pouring rain the other day. Suitable dressed of course and just one little one who got their fringe rather wet - soon sorted with a hair dryer when we went in. I can't see a problem providing they were appropriate clothing and I don't see anything wrong in having warm (ish) water for little hands. Of course when it's really cold we move into the ice and all the fun that brings with it :D

Our children haven't had 'water play' as such but they had a ball out in the pouring rain the other day. Suitable dressed of course and just one little one who got their fringe rather wet - soon sorted with a hair dryer when we went in. I can't see a problem providing they were appropriate clothing and I don't see anything wrong in having warm (ish) water for little hands. Of course when it's really cold we move into the ice and all the fun that brings with it :D

With a hair dryer?! I wouldnt be happy with my child having her hair blow dried at school :| - Just my personal opinion x

With a hair dryer?! I wouldnt be happy with my child having her hair blow dried at school :| - Just my personal opinion x

Yep with a hair dryer. Maybe i should have said parental permission in place.

Of course we all have our own personal /professional opinions - funny old world isn't it :D

• Like 2

We have recently swapped our messy trays and brought water inside and sand outside for this reason. It is very cold outside and I tend to agree it is a little too cold for water play outside. Does not mean they can't do it inside tho!

A parent has written to me today- what do you think of it? can you help me in replying?

'I love that the children play outside but is there any chance the water activities could be put away till it gets warmer please? It's far too cold for little ones to be wet in the garden. Many thanks.' :angry:

I love this forum there is always someone to turn to! :D

I think you have to value this parents opinion and the positvie spin she has put in her letter. I would have a word with her explaining why water play is so important and how you are going to minimise the children getting too wet e.g. waterproofs, warm water etc and reassure her that her childs well being is of utmost concern for you and that you will be auditing the area to see if there are indeed issues with children getting too cold

we do outside all the time, in all weathers but we do not have the water tray out in the cold autumn or winter. we do however have water play in the shape of a water tap

I do think that it is too cold for hands to get wet when weather cold,

we had a fantastic morning in the forest this morning, very cold beauriful frosty leaves and ice really icy puddles but once hands are wet its miserable

I went into my setting today and told my colleagues about this, and we all seemed to be in agreement. Personally, I don't like my daughter having her hair dried with a hair dryer, as it can be quite damaging on the hair. I would also be worried in case she was accidentally burnt, by the hot air, or by touching the hair dryer by accident. Also, it is an electrical appliance, being used close to a child's head, what if it malfunctioned? Through no fault of the practitioner. Like previously mentioned, some children are scared of hair dryers. I don't understand why you would need to dry children's hairs within a setting. If i am out, and it rains, i dont dry mine or my childs hair when i get home.I didn't mean to cause offence, but it is how I feel, and with regard to my own child, I would stand by that and not allow someone to dry her hair with a hair dryer.

Would it reassure you if it were only used on a cool setting, lizr?

I have used hairdryers on childminded children at the swimming pool. I can't think of a time I have done it at home but it wouldn't cross my mind to ask for permission.

Children in my care use hand dryers, food mixers, an electric pencil sharpener, tv, computers, lamps, .... even the microwave. The list is endless. The problems you describe could occur with many of these but if they are well maintained and the children are well supervised I think it's very unlikely.

Do you feel like this about other appliances or just hairdryers?

Edit to say I've remembered we have used hairdryers - to melt ice from the garden on a tray.

Edited by Upsy Daisy
  • Like 1

Would it reassure you if it were only used on a cool setting, lizr?

I have used hairdryers on childminded children at the swimming pool. I can't think of a time I have done it at home but it wouldn't cross my mind to ask for permission.

Children in my care use hand dryers, food mixers, an electric pencil sharpener, tv, computers, lamps, .... even the microwave. The list is endless. The problems you describe could occur with many of these but if they are well maintained and the children are well supervised I think it's very unlikely.

Do you feel like this about other appliances or just hairdryers?

Edit to say I've remembered we have used hairdryers - to melt ice from the garden on a tray.

I don't feel it's necessary to dry a child's hair with a hair dryer in the setting, so no, it wouldn't reassure me. Sorry :(. It's never something I've had to think about before, but if someone did it to my child without asking permission first, I would be very upset. Several parents are friends of mine, and I asked them this evening how they would feel if we dried their child's hair with a hair dryer, both parents said they wouldn't like it. One parent has never used a hair dryer on her child, and therefore would be upset if we did. Another parent was puzzled why we would need to, and the third parent wouldn't mind, but would want to know, and give permission first.

It's certainly food for thought, and good to get everyone's different opinions. It's what makes us all so unique!

Oh wow - my children loved watching water turn to ice over night! what has happened to science exploration? We would put water in a tray outside in winter - and it was warm. We explored the water temperature during the morning. We left it over night and re-visited the following morning - hey presto ice! Children thoroughly involved in exploring a new property - went to feeling it, talking about memory and recall in relation to what it was like yesterday, where else have they seen ice. How ice melts into the hand. Yes all in low temperatures. It is educating staff and parents to the benefits. Children who barely go out and explore in cold weathers are those who do come down with something as their body has not learnt to cope with the cold. how do kids in sweden, Switzerland etc., cope?

• Like 2

Oh wow - my children loved watching water turn to ice over night! what has happened to science exploration? We would put water in a tray outside in winter - and it was warm. We explored the water temperature during the morning. We left it over night and re-visited the following morning - hey presto ice! Children thoroughly involved in exploring a new property - went to feeling it, talking about memory and recall in relation to what it was like yesterday, where else have they seen ice. How ice melts into the hand. Yes all in low temperatures. It is educating staff and parents to the benefits. Children who barely go out and explore in cold weathers are those who do come down with something as their body has not learnt to cope with the cold. how do kids in sweden, Switzerland etc., cope?

Vastly different though from playing in the water!

Must tell you about yeterday at pre-school ...yes it was quite cold parents came to ask if their children could be kept in......! um 'no' i replied!" First, has she got all her equipment...hat gloves scarf etc?" "yes" replied the mother..".er hang on a minute how cold is it at your home in Poland at the moment?" i ask ." Oh.... yes" she said "er minus 20!!" she looked rather embarrased and sloped off!....... second parent...can he be kept inside because he has a cough. "urm No" i replied. "Is he well enough to be at pre-school? then he is well enough to go outside.. Er hang on a minute how cold is it at your russian house at the moment?" "er minus 30" she said!!!! i looked at her and started laughing.. so this is possitively warm i said!". They were the only ones who even suggested not going out....i think the other parents have given up asking!!

• Like 11

the other thing to add, is that norwegein countries are set for cold weather, the clothes are not made like ours,

thermals bought from a certain shop in this country do not have the protctio from the ones bought there, obviously we dont need them so much.

And im sure that hands do not go into water when it is cold out.

having said that we are still outside none working thermals and all !!

tip ...tights under leggings for girls boys and staff, work well

• 3 weeks later...

I personally would not be worried by the use of a hairdryer but would expect to be told "Oh we dreied your daughters hair today she did not mond/did not like it." I don't use a hair dryer on her hair at home but would not be worried by a one off, but having said that have never used one in a setting or even considered it.

As for water play. We do have it out in cold weather but closely monitored and if we feel it is "too cold" have it as an experiment station and see what happens if we leave it alone ie ice forms.

Each to their own, just advise the parent you have their childs best interest at heart and will not put her in danger.

You cannot catch a cold from being cold!

This is correct in that colds are caused by a virus and being outdoors make us less likely to come in contact with them. But studies have shown that immunity is reduced once we start to shiver so being cold may make us less able to resist those nasty snot virus that get about. This is why it's important to keep the elderly warm. We can achieve greater tolerance to cold by getting out in it - so we start to shiver at a lower temperature - we get tougher. This is what happens with people who swim in 'wild water'.

So vigilance is required. Children playing happily, with rosy cheeks and lips and not shivering are fine. But shivery, subdued, pale, blue-lipped or fingered children need the opportunity to warm up. If I thought there was a risk of a child remaining cold after they could tolerate it I'd dry wet hair unless they were fretty about it.

Honey

I let the children make the decision as to whether they need coats or not. They are pretty good at it, save for one or to that need telling when it gets really cold.

We also have waterproofs and wellies that they can put on anytime they want.

• Like 1