Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

mice help!

we have had mice in our shed. droppings in various boxes and eaten into cushions, beanbags etc. have disinfected all soft items, but is there anything else we should do? caretaker supposed to be getting some traps, but until then we're keeping soft items out of shed in nursery so it's a right mess. and how do we stop them coming back again? help! x

We had rats in our shed! We were advised by the council to get rid of anything that cannot be disinfected ie puzzles, books.

Are you sure its mice? I tried to kid myself it was mice but rats is more likely. You really need the council to come and put some poison down. Although there is a theory that they become resistant to this.

As a warning to anyone else its the beanbags they go after.

not sure you can stop them coming back again! Obviously they wouldn't be the same ones if your caretaker is trapping them. Don't think there is anything like a rodent repellant, they are very squeezable - cartilage rather than bones I think and can squeeze through remarkable small gaps. Make sure you are not enticing them with bird food into your area so no food scraps left in the vicinity of the shed and don't store soft furnishings in there.

I'm not one for humane traps when it comes to rodents I'm afraid - almost anything else I would be, but I do believe you must destroy them "back at base camp" to really be rid of them and that means poisoning them so that they take it back to the nest and then the babies ingest the poison too. sorry animal lovers, horrid I know, but you must protect your children.

I will now duck for cover from all those who would not destroy them.

there are rodent repellers out there..

some come in powder form and ultrasonic rat and mouse repellers which is the one we used.. amazed that it worked.. but we had power as it was a kitchen they had got into...I do know they make battery powered ones as well a quick search on Amazon comes up with them..

i know some do not rate them at all but they did work for us...

make sure you remove all paper as well they can live on this as well as nest etc..

and for me too it is destroy if possible.. no humane traps.

• Like 1

We had this problem with mice just before Ofsted came. After seeking advice all small things in the shed had to be kept in sealed plastic boxes, all large stuff had to be wiped down with disinfectant before use. This had to be risk assessed. Anything that couldnt be stored in this way had to be moved. We have traps set throughout the year and catch plenty - due to the setting being near a river! And again try not to store anything in the shed the mice find attractive!

Goodluck!

FF

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)