Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Where does this fit?

Following bonfire night my class have become really interested in fire/fire engines and fire-fighters. The questions they have asked include:

How do they put fires out?

What do their clothes look like?

What colour are their helmets?

Where do they sleep?

How can they lift heavy stuff?

What do they do?

I'm going to do as much of this as possible and I think the 'How can they lift heavy stuff' will tie in to the healthy diet part of EYFS but I can't figure out where to link the rest? Any ideas?

I had great fun with Preschool children finding out how to lift heavy things a few years ago. (They were an inquisitive bunch who kept me on my toes!) We used rollers to move heavy things and levers. We used syringes with tubes attached to make small amounts of water move things.

I would have thought that a lot of their questions would come under 'People and communities' and showing interest in different occupations and ways of life.

• Like 1

Also depending on how they extend their play out you may get elements to go into the role play /being imaginative area - after a visit from the fire brigade a lot of our boys ( and a few girls too) made fire engines from our large wooden blocks and rope/cardboard tubes and broom handles became hoses.

Thank you. People and Communities was kind of where I wanted to put it too. Will go with that then. Love the ideas for further exploring lifting heavy things. We've already done lots of work preparing a new role play area and making a fire-engine out of a box/whatever construction kit is going. They're really intrigued by ladders too and our maths next week is about patterns so I'm thinking I could use the ladder thing to made different patterns somehow...

yes you could use the space between the steps to put colours for patterns.

That's kind of where I was going with it too. I rediscovered one of those 'ladders' you put on the ground for agility work in PE the other day. Thought we could use that as a starting point and make outdoor patterns - red leaf, yellow leaf etc.

Following bonfire night my class have become really interested in fire/fire engines and fire-fighters. The questions they have asked include:

How do they put fires out?

What do their clothes look like?

What colour are their helmets?

Where do they sleep?

How can they lift heavy stuff?

What do they do?

I'm going to do as much of this as possible and I think the 'How can they lift heavy stuff' will tie in to the healthy diet part of EYFS but I can't figure out where to link the rest? Any ideas?

a few ideas....

how do they put fires out....properties of water/weight/ volume/heavy light etc

what do their clothes look like...waterproof verses pourous (record evidence on a chart...pieces of material in the water tray)

what colour are their helmets...fiction/non fiction books using ict

where do they sleep (might lead on to nocturnal??) role play....of course you need to have a getting dressed race to go with this!

How do they lift heavy things...pulleys /fulcrums/levers...lots of maths concepts/propsitions etc...weigh what you can lift and record.

what do they do ....fireman sam books/make your own book/ visit??or parent??

any help or am i on the wrong track?

Finleysmaid - a great help, thank you! Love the idea of a getting dressed race.

Susan - I've already put out feelers. Our local fire station isn't very local but I sent a note to parents on Friday saying if they had any relevant books we'd love to see them and if they happened to know a friendly fire-fighter who might like to visit we'd love to see them too! A couple of my parents are paramedics so I'm hoping that as they're in the same line of work so to speak they might know someone.

The fire service are coming in to do their annual fire safety talk to the Y2s and the Y6s but having experienced it several years in a row I'd rather not let my lot anywhere near it!

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)