Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Autumn/seasons inspiration needed....

So feeling a bit stumped.....

It started with cookers being bought in by one girl and a red leaf by another.... It's autumn.

We looked at why teddy was getting cold outside in our bear cave ( my job share is 'doing' hibernating animals Thursday and Friday....) we are off for a nature walk tomorrow and it now seems I have a lesson obs on Wednesday.... Supposed to have a literacy focus but this for me could be speaking and listening.... Any thoughts for something amazing? Inspiring.. I am not in the slightest inspired :-(

Guest youngrisers

we have looked at nocturnal animals as one of our children out of 39 was keen to see where moles live and what was in a hole was on an autumn walk, we also had a another child who initiated a snail walk after she found a tiny snail so we donned waterproofs and set of to find snails and found some more holes in trees and shrubs and on the ground. This sparked off so much discussion when we returned that I planned the next four weeks as nocturnal animals and their habitates and linked Percy in the park stories to this for literacy . I have used puppets and props with the younger 2 year olds and then extended the planning to make woven nest using paper plates as the template to weave on with material strips and added paper plate rocking birds which the children loved as I brought some natural feathers and some highly coloured ones. Glue everywhere but very happy children. We have now rubbed over an owl rubbing made by a member of staff using textured wallpapers and added features such as feathers and shiny eyes . Amazing puppet from IKEA and of course Ozzy the Owl and owl babies stories. This all started through finding a hole in a tree and on the ground.

Guest youngrisers

bless her will think of possibly outcomes of this for you as all the children have used this topic in a different way.

Guest ChunkyMan

How about Atelier using conkers, pine cones, leaves etc, maybe look at the work of Andy Goldworthy for inspiration. I did that last year and the children produced some fab patterns etc which we took pictures of.

Here is the Power point I made as inspiration. I loved this activity because it is temporary and there is no right way of doing it.

Leaves by Andy Goldsworthy.ppt

Thank you so much for sharing - I'd already planned to do this kind of activity as part of an RE lesson on Thursday. I often show photos from the landart site but these are even betterer given the season!

Love the Andy Goldsworthy - was planning on doing pics with Autumn artefacts myself - great inspiration!

Not quite so inspiring...after our Autumn walk we had a session with talking partners when we recalled facts we had learnt about Autumn, children went on record (mark make at this stage for majority of reception children) these facts on Autumn coloured leaf shapes, they looked very effective interspersed with photos from walk and paint mixing Autumn leaves. Another year children rehearsed their sentences to add their own commentary to a photo to make a photostory on computer. End result was brill but a bit tedious doing the actual recording, unless they had a photo in front of them to discuss and rehearse a sentence to share with group/class?

Delivered today - a copy of 'Leaf man' - as recommended sometime, somewhere on this forum! :1b

Wow - what a beautiful, beautiful book - can't wait to share it with my children :1b

Have never heard of this and just looked on Amazon - am adding it to my wishlist!

Have never heard of this and just looked on Amazon - am adding it to my wishlist!

Promise you will just love it - I even showed it to Mr S and he could see why I was so enthusiastic! :1b

Quick edit to say - check out the Book Depository - often cheaper!

Edited by sunnyday

I am so stealing this idea for next half term, thanks so much! I love Andy Goldsworthy and have the 'Leaf Man' book already. I am sure by combining the two I will capture the children's interests and create an amazing display. Thank you for sharing the fantastic power point and the reminder of this amazing book. :1b

I am so stealing this idea for next half term, thanks so much! I love Andy Goldsworthy and have the 'Leaf Man' book already. I am sure by combining the two I will capture the children's interests and create an amazing display. Thank you for sharing the fantastic power point and the reminder of this amazing book. :1b

Excellent! :1b

We had a look at the book, then donned our wellies, coats and high vis and set off on a 'nature' walk to collect leaves and then used them to make some beautiful pictures in true Andy Goldsworthy style :1b

Guest tinkerbell

Love the ideas and the powerpoint is great Conkerman thank you.

Nature Detectives have some super autumn resources,we have just done quite a bit on blackberries,picking,looking at carefully with magnifiers.I made some jam (at home) tasted jam ,which led us off to taste all asorts of jams and vote for our favourite,write poem for harvest ....

Looked at the book today and we plan to look for our own 'Leaf Man' tomorrow...weather permitting. However I can see us being out whatever mother nature throws at us. Mental note to self, don thermals and wellingtons tomorrow :-) Thanks again.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)