Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Which constitution do you use?

Hi all,

We have our AGM tomorrow and I we need to update our Constitution as we are still running under the PLA 2005 one!!

Is it just us in the dark ages?

i'm thinking about updating to the 2011 constitution, just purely as we can have staff as committee members!! Can you tell Im not expecting many tomorrow?! :D

Is anyone using a different constitution? we are members of the PLA and have their insurance but don't get much support or help from them.

thank you for your thoughts

We have our own. Really it's an old psla one but tweaked a bit to include our admissions criteria and where the money goes when we dissolve it's on here somewhere as I remember uploading it for someone else to see- doesn't say anything about staff being on committee though.

2011 constitution adopted due to the fact only 3 people turned up for AGM, so it's allowed 2 staff to go onto the committee to allow us to continue!

So is that your committee then, three parents and two staff? Have your staff got named committee roles?

So is that your committee then, three parents and two staff? Have your staff got named committee roles?

Yep that's it! 3 parents one of which doesn't have children with us anymore!

one staff member is a general member, the other staff member is me as Manager and I'm the Treasurer!

It's not good, everything is stacking against us as I've said before....just another thing that approaches the end of the line for us/me :(

We have a staff member as treasurer, dont let on to the Charity Commission!

If you've updated to the 2011 constitution, does it say staff can hold officer roles? If not, be careful of what you tell the charity commission and the PLA. I gave a list of names with roles assigned to the charity comission but the reality is a slight bit different. ;)

If you've updated to the 2011 constitution, does it say staff can hold officer roles? If not, be careful of what you tell the charity commission and the PLA. I gave a list of names with roles assigned to the charity comission but the reality is a slight bit different. ;)

speechless-smiley-040.gif

• Like 1

Thanks for the tip Rea, will swop roles around for 'the powers that be'

Have checked you're right staff shouldn't be officers, but Treasurer is one role we haven't been able to get filled for about 8 months before this AGM, as 2 people gave up after a couple of months of trying to do it. I was fed up of not knowing if people had paid or how much money we did/didn't have, so ended up doing it myself

You need look shocked conker, imagine how shocked I was when the CC used the words unauthorised, disolve and pay back! Seriously, if you value your setting, keep little details under your hat.

• 2 weeks later...

Yes, I looked once at all the charities in my area who were late with the accounts, 100's wouldnt be far from the mark. I didnt feel so bad then or now, they should have been in at the end of August but we havent even taken them to the accountant yet!

I got mine all balanced beautifully half way through August, only to have a parent text to say she'd paid her September fees while she remembered! AARGH!!! put my end of year figures out! So now I'm just going to have to put 'Money prepaid for 2012-13' or something at the end! sigh.

I got mine all balanced beautifully half way through August, only to have a parent text to say she'd paid her September fees while she remembered! AARGH!!! put my end of year figures out! So now I'm just going to have to put 'Money prepaid for 2012-13' or something at the end! sigh.

WOW - she's keen, I WANT that parent :DxD

• Like 1

Using the PSLA 2011 constitution . Can we legally change parts of it to suit us? .

Honestly I dont know how you go about it, but the constitution itself will probably have the answers. Committee meeting with agreements and such, I dont think the process is designed to be difficult.

We're going to be adopting the 2011 at our upcoming AGM, does it differ much from the 2008 one? I could sit and read them borth and compare but I have a headache :(

Rea. It doesn't say about changing it . We have just adopted it in the past at our meetings as we're members of the PSLA. 2011 allows staff members to become committee members , few other changes they are compared on the PSLA website if your a members.

Briefly our problem is we had our AGM and several parents came forward and voted on as a group, , a couple were undecided but have since said they would like to but constitution states we can only co op 3 members on but we have four possibly five but having struggled o much in the past to recruit members I really don't want to say no to these people joining the committee.

Smiles

I understood that a co opted member is one who isn't a parent or family member. At our AGM we are going to accept the vicar as a co opted member purely because we can't get parents to join. You need 3 officers and up to 10 others i think. You can accept your parents after the AGM if you call an extrodinary general meeting but I'd need to check that. Failing that you could change the minutes to say they all joined at the same time!

I never, ever say no to a new committee member, what ever time of year!!!!! In fact for every committee meeting I always ask for newbies to come along and join. If they do I just add them to the charity commission web-site and get them CRB'd

The main reason we adopted 2011 was due to staff being able to be on committee, I think there is something about cheques of certain amounts only needing 1 signatory but we are still carrying on getting 2 - I'm not going to do anything about changing const so say so though...too much hassle :ph34r:xD

Smiles, you can only change the constitution by whatever means your constitution states must be used. Bear in mind that if you change the PSLA constitution then it will no longer be a PSLA one but your unique one. I think you will have to call an Extra Ordinary meeting to change it, I cant remember exactly with out re reading it.

Does that make sense?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)