Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

creativity

Just wondering how and what kind of things you provide for with regards creative development and creative activities.

Would you say creativity always has an end product- a picture, a painting, a model, and how do you explain creativity to others?

I would never expect an end product. I might chat about what the child's doing, get them seeing it, thinking about it, discussing it, all in a very simple and friendly way, not drilling them.

Creativity: The ability to transcend traditional ideas, rules, patterns, relationships, or the like, and to create meaningful new ideas, forms, methods, interpretations, etc.; originality, progressiveness or imagination.

Creativity is defined as the tendency to generate or recognize ideas, alternatives, or possibilities that may be useful in solving problems, communicating with others, and entertaining ourselves and others.

http://www4.uwsp.edu/education/lwilson/creativ/define.htm

This site has some stuff you could use :1b

Edited by Rea

I don't see creativity as to do with just making stuff - problem solving is creative, working out what we will do in any given situation is creative..and how we do it is to model being a thinker and a wonderer. The characteristics of effective learning are all about creativity I think.

Cx

• Like 2

Thank you

I really love this site and the wealth of knowledge it gives.

I having been trying to build on staffs creativity and not having an end product.

I thought it may be useful to have some tried and tested activities/ideas I could share with them if anyone else has anything.

Thank you so much for your replies

Skippy

Try having boxes, large tubes, fabric lengths, and other non specific items like a bowl (could be a hat!), wooden spoons,lengths of rope/strings, pegs etc etc and let children role play their own ideas. There is no outcome as the adults won't know what the children will want to do.

Cx

I used to put a couple of tables together and put bowls of flour, water, tea leaves, glitter, coffee, stuffing, food colouring, salt...the possible list was endless and just let the children play with it.

I did it at my friends nursery once, she understood what the activity was about having worked and trained with me but the staff kept asking what were we making, the word nothing didnt stop them from trying to label anything the children did. They were really quite frustrated and anxious, they didnt really properly relax into it but overall it was a great learning experience for them.

Edited by Rea
  • Like 2

If you're interested enough to go further with this, a great book to have a look at is "Supporting Creativity and Imagination in the Early Years" by Bernadette Duffy, Open University Press, ISBN 0-335-19871-6

Sue

• Like 1

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)