Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

advice please

beth1

Right since I posted on the jar story and a couple said maybe we could offer some advice.

I have been working in the same school as part time teaching assistant role in year 1 for the past 3 years. This is now my 4th year, with a new teacher and a newly qualified teaching assistant. I am contracted to work mornings until 12:15pm.

I turn up at around 8:20 am in the morning (knowing that my contracted hours don't start until 9am or 8:45 on the corridor duty mornings), then not leaving until anything between 12:45 to more like 1pm most lunch times. I am looking at working above 22 hours per week and only getting paid for 16 1/4 hours.

My role is the same as a full time teaching assistant job description. This includes;

corridor duty (3 times per week, sometimes 4 times)

playground duty twice per week

1:1 IEP work mainly with 1 child for an hour 4 times per week leaving me with 2 20 mins time to get jobs done.

plus writing up IEP observations and tracking on sheets.

intervention groups plus teaching literacy and numeracy in small groups sometimes. Also sit on the carpet at input time unless been told to take a small group to do intervention work.

Of course to mark the groups work.

sticking work into books.

stick literacy/numeracy objectives into books.

paints twice per week and tidy drying racks plus clean the paint pots if they are still out the morning after.

should also be sharpen pencils.

sort out the fruit i.e. get it stick in the fridge and sort out for playtime.

take down/put up display boards plus cut things out for that.

support in pshe/ict lessons.

supervise children in the dinning hall often stuck for at least 10 minutes after the bell goes and of course after my official contract time. In other words, I end up dealilng with the children long after I should have finished.

Book bags to do if the full time TA hasn't done them.

water tray to fill.

paper to cut out for the paint/colour easle.

plus other jobs as set out by the teacher.

Oh plus I also work an extra afternoon voluntary in key stage 2 because of the PGCE course I want to do only covers 5-11 years. I have noticed that as the children are more independent the ta's can get jobs done easier.

I am fed up of coming home late, had a word about it with my manager who said tough you need to get them done. The full time TA struggles with childcare and I seem to be the one picking up the pieces. I am well aware of what needs doing, but I haven't enough time in the morning to do it. The phrase overworked and underpaid comes to mind. I love my job, its the excessive paperwork we have to do is getting me down. I wish I knew other part time year 1 TAs who work mornings until lunchtimes.

I am getting to the point that I want to hand in my notice and leave with no other job to go to. A former staff member has moved jobs and shes full time and has less jobs to do than me.

Not sure if you could give any advice because I am thinking its not my time management that's the issue.

I also have to look after my mum, do gcse biology course, run a guide unit which seems to get less girls each week. At the moment I am trying to also rewrite my personal statement for the PGCE and find time to practice for the QTS skills tests.

Thanks for reading, from a stressed beth.

• Like 1

hi beth i liked this because you have shared and hopefully feeling a wee bit better for sharing - you have an awful lot going on and i know as do many others i am sure of doing much more than the hours you are supposed too . It becomes dangerous when you start to feel as overwhelmed as you do and i personally feel that your manager should be listening to you .

your physical and mental health comes first - you obviously love what you do but you need to slow down and approach your manager again, if not i would work to rule - get there at the right time not earlier than you need to and leave on time where possible , dont worry about the things you have not got done - it's not going to kill anyone but you if continue to juggle all this stuff.

If your manager fails to listen , speak to the class teacher or the head - do not be made to feel you are in the wrong xx

• Like 1

Oh dear Beth - I encouraged you to post and now not sure what to advise........

I'm a pre-school owner/manager and I spend a lot of my 'own time' working but that's a completely different thing as it's my own business...........my staff are fantastic about keeping up Learning Journey folders in their own time - I do pay a 'little extra' for this but I don't suppose it really covers all that they do......

Beth are you in a Union - is this the sort of thing that they might help you with?

Not sure that your manager can realistically take that attitude - I wouldn't dream of telling my staff that it was 'tough' if they brought a problem to me.........who is 'over' your manager?

Sending you a big hug x

• Like 1

Thanks

Everyone at school says well that the way it is, even gone to the head who says the same. Tough it needs to be done otherwise we will get satisfactory and I would be put on monitoring. Not sure what you think but I get the feeling being one of the only general teaching assistants that I am still in the same class as the others. There are part time teaching assistants but they are SEN ones.

I am finding myself not wanting to get up and go into work. I found myself crying on the way to work ironically I only live a 5 mins drive away. The other night after a mini team meeting I found myself awake until 1:30am in the morning. Then a full day at work y1 am and y3 pm (which I love doing) then a support staff meeting. Where someone else spouted off. If I am not careful I may end up in hospital suffering from a major migraine attack, even the current stuff isn't helping. I can't even get time to ring/go up and get a doctors appointment's now they are all done on the day.

omg!! this is crazy!! if you are part time (as i am) you should only do 1/2 the duties of full-time ta's. sounds like someone is being taken advantage of. if my seye's come in early i don't give them jobs as it's their time. they do their learning journeys and set up lovely bits. i like the idea of work to rule to show how much extra you are doing. the teacher shouldn't expect so much of you. jobs should be done in assembly or when teacher has whole class. but if she wants you to support then when does she expect you to do them? ask her? x

Thanks

Everyone at school says well that the way it is, even gone to the head who says the same. Tough it needs to be done otherwise we will get satisfactory and I would be put on monitoring. Not sure what you think but I get the feeling being one of the only general teaching assistants that I am still in the same class as the others. There are part time teaching assistants but they are SEN ones.

I am finding myself not wanting to get up and go into work. I found myself crying on the way to work ironically I only live a 5 mins drive away. The other night after a mini team meeting I found myself awake until 1:30am in the morning. Then a full day at work y1 am and y3 pm (which I love doing) then a support staff meeting. Where someone else spouted off. If I am not careful I may end up in hospital suffering from a major migraine attack, even the current stuff isn't helping. I can't even get time to ring/go up and get a doctors appointment's now they are all done on the day.

Beth - this serious - you really must not let this continue - have you considered going to see your GP - it seems to me that you are suffering from stress - if this is diagnosed and you have to have time off surely this will lead to the 'powers that be' re-thinking your workload.........

omg!! this is crazy!! if you are part time (as i am) you should only do 1/2 the duties of full-time ta's. sounds like someone is being taken advantage of. if my seye's come in early i don't give them jobs as it's their time. they do their learning journeys and set up lovely bits. i like the idea of work to rule to show how much extra you are doing. the teacher shouldn't expect so much of you. jobs should be done in assembly or when teacher has whole class. but if she wants you to support then when does she expect you to do them? ask her? x

Assemby time would be nice but I have 1:1 for an hour 9 til 10am tues, weds, thurs. My last teacher gave me time to catch up with my obs/marking/other general stuff during the literacy imput. But then the as the old team we worked well together, even if the teacher had issues with me. however I still stayed at least for about 15 miniutes just to make a start on my marking whilst it was fresh in my mind and to quickly tidy up the classroom ready for the afternoon.

Oh also i have noticed the books are in a mess in the reading corner, I refuse to do it with no time.

as a previous school governor for 9 years , i find this appalling !!! your manager should be there to support you, listen and offer solutions where possible and as for the head .......he/she is responsible for the whole staff team and everyone knows unhappy team results in unhappy children - it is very unfair to make you feel responsible for an \ofsted outcome and i would seriously think about approaching union if you have one or one of the governors to discuss - its all about give and take and supporting each other and you are being treated very unfairly, \you have recognised the effect this is having on you now is the time to make sure others know and understand , please talk to someone again .xx

• Like 2

Well if the full time teaching assistant got faster at her job things wouldn't be left for me to do. At the moment we are lucky to have a volunteer in who does loads of jobs, and is doing my corridor duties for me, since I am also working in break time on the days I don't do playground duties. Next term is going to be worse I can feel it in my bones.

as a previous school governor for 9 years , i find this appalling !!! your manager should be there to support you, listen and offer solutions where possible and as for the head .......he/she is responsible for the whole staff team and everyone knows unhappy team results in unhappy children - it is very unfair to make you feel responsible for an \ofsted outcome and i would seriously think about approaching union if you have one or one of the governors to discuss - its all about give and take and supporting each other and you are being treated very unfairly, \you have recognised the effect this is having on you now is the time to make sure others know and understand , please talk to someone again .xx

My manager is the teacher who I had last year and is unapproachable to me. Which isn't nice.

Beth- take a look in the mirror - do you recognise this person ?? sad, tired , over whelmed , frustrated and angry - this is someone who has taken the place of a person who wants to teach , help assist and probably all with a smile and a love of what she does - will that person return ?? yes but only when she decides that she needs to change now and in order to make those changes has to find that strength deep inside and not be undermined , overworked or fobbed off- put yourhands out and take control of this situation before it completely takes over you - remember who you are , what you can do and what you want and need right now - xx goood luck and will check in tomorrow to see how you got on - shoulders back deep breath , you can do it xxx

• Like 1

Its PPA morning, a nice easy morning for me. The only morning of the week I look forward to this week apart from the fact I need to turn on all the computers in the suite ready for the ICT teacher to come in.

I am going to ask the head for time to speak to them, even if it has to be a pm meeting at the other site.

It has been mentioned that we going to have peer support i.e. see how the other site in year 1 does their role. Why after all this time I need to go down is beyond me.

Good grief Beth, please don't let this continue. You will never be thanked for going the extra mile so you need to look after yourself. Think how your parents would cope without your help and support if you were taken I'll. Can you put all this in writing and give it to your manager? At least your concerns will be logged in your file then.

• Like 1

Good grief Beth, please don't let this continue. You will never be thanked for going the extra mile so you need to look after yourself. Think how your parents would cope without your help and support if you were taken I'll. Can you put all this in writing and give it to your manager? At least your concerns will be logged in your file then.

Well I had a thought about it, didn't get to sleep until half past midnight.

If I got a small notebook that fit into my pocket. I could record the times and what I am doing. Eg 8:22 - fill water tray and tidy drying rack.

8:26 - put pictures in trays

8:28 - stick objectives into the books

8:45 - corridor duty

9:00 - dinner register

Etc

Do this from tomorrow or Monday for maybe upto two weeks, with a letter and give it to them at the end of term. I would put the timings onto a bigger sheet of paper or even just give them the paper out of the notebook.

Then I would have evidence to back up what I am saying.

What to you think?

Sounds like a good idea, but I wouldnt write the times, someone might ask how you could find the time to do the list if its too detailed.

I'm glad you've made a decision though, you really cant go to work with that feeling of dread, no job is worth it Beth.

Well I had a meltdown this morning! Not infront of the children. The staff rallied around to support me. One said that I'm doing too much running around. But the management has noticed what is going on. So they are going to sort it. However I think part of the issue is communication from the teacher.

However I walked in and saw a private conversation so went next door. The ks1 leader said I acted most professional in that suitation not to walk in and get on with the jobs. The room is a mess, but the teacher understood why I've not got stuff done. I'm basically doing 2 people's job roles.

I hope something will be sorted out. Otherwise I will be off finding a new job. Might has well get paid to work a full time ta post and not do what I'm doing.

Still upset and fed up I don't think it will get sorted out, I was being undermined by the old teacher and it never got sorted out brushed in the carpet as they say. Been out for an autumn walk around where I live to 'blow away the cobwebs' and time to think. Took the camera to take some photos of the area to take my mind off work.

I really do think that the school expects too much of teaching assistants. Doesn't help that we are over due ofsted, hence the comment that was made. I have never been given a job description that reflects my contracted hours. I heard second hand that the other ta and i will be swapping roles i.e. me teaching groups, they do the intervention groups.

All I want to do is to be able to walk out that door by at least 12:30 or 12:35pm at the latest. If nothing improves, I think I shall just walk away from the job. I am not sure how if I went off on sick leave with workplace stress how it would affect my chances of doing teacher training next year?

Oh fab, I have just looked on the local authority jobs website and there's a full time job going at my school. That will be interesting since I would normally go for the full time jobs that are suitable for me to apply for.

I bet since I had that meltdown I would be told not to bother applying for it.

Beth, dont make any assumptions. If you fancy the full time hours talk to someone and apply for it. It does sound as if you are being taken advantage of and that you are doing more than is fair. If you need some time off, it is also important that you take it--doesnt have to be workplace stress.

Take care of yourself.

I am starting to think that someone in that room isn't pulling their weight, if you understand me like Susan says I am doing more than my fair share. Like I say I'm the experienced teaching assistant in there so I know what needs doing on a daily basis.

I got scolded at by a senior staff member saying by suggesting that I could be gone by half 12, this morning. I'm shattered and also I am taking some of the guides in my guide unit to the big gig concert at the weekend, not far away but will be a long day around 10 hours.

Hi

I confused. If you are paid until 12.15. Why don't you put your coat on and leave?

I go in early and leave late but as the manager thats my decision. I would just say 'hair appointment must run' bye.

Surely its the teachers responsibility to make sure everythings ready in the morning for the children? Just get there 5 mins before your alloted time and start

work.

Not in my school your expected to be in the dinner hall at lunchtime. No one in the school gets a full lunchtime and I mean TAs. My role is somewhat muddled, don't think I have ever left on time, usually it used to be stay until around 10-15 minutes but not as long as I have been doing.

I have to be in the dinner hall, why when there's 2 other staff there is beyond me. I suggested maybe a rota where we take turns (both TA's) to be in the hall. That 10 - 20 minutes could be used for me to get on with my marking at the end of the day. Instead of having to start it at 12:20 - 12:30 some days.

Well I had a meltdown this morning! Not infront of the children. The staff rallied around to support me. One said that I'm doing too much running around. But the management has noticed what is going on. So they are going t

o sort it. However I think part of the issue is

communication from the teacher.

Listen to ur body it's telling u to slow down!

Beth, I thought I'd read that you havent got a job description but now I cant find it so I might have dreamt it. Anyway, if I'm right, then please ask for one. It might help the powers that be understand what you're doing.

Go for the job too, you dont ask, you dont get! :1b

• Like 1

Yes I do have a job description but its for 27.5 hours not for my 16.25 hours contract. So therefore really I dont have a job description that relates to my hours, been there 3 years, never got one. The old teacher unofficially gave me a list of role that would fit in with my hours. for example give me time to take down the old display so the other TA could redo it later in the afternoon.

I'm ready for bed, soo tired. I am off to visit the doctors even it if means im late to work just to get a doctors appointment tomorrow afternoon. So I will be in a little latter than normal i.e. running up to my corridor duty time.

Hi

I confused. If you are paid until 12.15. Why don't you put your coat on and leave?

I go in early and leave late but as the manager thats my decision. I would just say 'hair appointment must run' bye.

Surely its the teachers responsibility to make sure everythings ready in the morning for the children? Just get there 5 mins before your alloted time and start

work.

Sorry Beth but as said above if you are contracted to leave at a certain time I think you need to make a point of leaving on time.....say you have to go you have an appointment and tell someone you are leaving and go! The more flexible you are the more advantage they will take of you. If you did all this extra stuff and it was appreciated and every so often the teacher gave you a smile and told you to knock off early for the day because she recognised the extra you had done I would be willing to put myself out but in the situation you are in NO WAY!!!

Record all that you are doing as you suggested and so if they say you are not completing your jobs you can show them what you do in your time and politely ask where in the list of jobs you have done they think you could have found time to do any more?

If you really feel that you will be getting nowhere then honestly you need to walk away.....I know that sounds dramatic and scary but I did it many years ago and the relief was huge and of course something always turns up. If I hadn't walked away from that job I would not have ended up in early years and then I wouldn't be here at the forum so you never know what is around the corner but what you know for sure is that currently you are not happy.

Take care and have a restful weekend.

Sue x

• Like 2

Update

Both the head and class teacher really appreciate what I am doing. I have been allow to knock off the dinner duty to spend that time to do marking/set up the class ie tidy stuff away and be able to leave by half 12 at the lastest. The head thinks the solution is to bring in another volunteer in to the classroom.

The other ta wasn't in this morning so I was left to do everything. I said my 1:1 obs work was the most important and the other stuff less important. The only job I didn't manage was the laminating. Well the laninator has broken and I could be fussed to find another one. Lol