Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

I'm really sorry... New EYFS confusion

Guest TinklePrincess

Guest TinklePrincess

If this has been asked before (which it probably has) I do apologise but I've been going around in circles on the forum trying to find it!

I'm so confused with this new EYFS. I start my new job on Monday and I've been out of the loop for over a year so I haven't even hard much of the hype about the new EYFS. I've downloaded everything I could find and I've ordered a hard copy of the Development Matters document but I was wondering if someone could shed a little light for me...

I'm sorry if I sound really dense but is the new EYFS basically just an updated statutory framework document and the Development Matters a new version of the old Practice Guidance? Do we not use the Principals into Practice cards anymore? Should I just throw away my old EYFS? I'm so confused!

I feel so far out of my league... it took me pretty much all of my time at uni to finally understand the EYFS in the first place - I just couldn't get to grips with it! I need to have some kind of working knowledge (enough to understand and make a start on planning etc) within a couple of weeks!

Can anyone help me?

Edit - Also, (sorry!) Has the Birth to Three Matters stuff made a comeback? Didn't the old EYFS take over that?

Edited by TinklePrincess

First off, dont apologise for needing help with something, you have possibly asked the question others were afraid to ask, that takes strength.

The new framework is the old one with a few changes, they're here http://media.education.gov.uk/assets/files/pdf/y/eyfs%20summary%20of%20changes.pdf

I would keep my old documents for now, I find its easier to reference something I'm familiar with and link it to the new. These things are so much easier when you're actually doing them, remember the old saying...'I hear and forget, I see and remember, I do and I understand'.

I wasnt sure about the Birth to Three stuff, I've been out of the loop for 3 years ( :huh: ) I thought it had gone too but no, its here http://www.foundationyears.org.uk/early-years-foundation-stage-2012/ scroll down the page.

Other people will be able to help you loads more than me and my grasped knowledge, take a deep breath, you'll be fine :D ::1a

• Like 1

What is your new job, and how much of it will be managing/leading others?

I ask because this has a bearing on where you should start with tackling the content.

You're right that the revised (legal) EYFS consists of just the statutory document but the development matters and the two year check guidance are the accompanying materials that you need to have and digest :D

In terms of practice, good practice is still good practice so you can still refer to the excellent practice cards and Birth to Three Matters materials. In fact, I went to a conference today where a member of the D of E said she still rates the original Foundation Stage Curriculum Guidance (anyone remember that pink file?!), particularly the learning and teaching sections. :1b

• Like 2

Guest TinklePrincess

Thanks for both of your responses!

Helen, my new role will be senior nursery nurse / team leader.

I have looked through the documents I downloaded and made a bunch of notes (just the way I learn) but I really struggle to read large documents on a screen, I'll do much better when I have the hard copy!

I like to annotate the documents too; it seems to sink in better!

I'd concentrate on the dev matters first, then go through the statutory guidance (maybe with your other senior colleagues?)

Will you be expecting to make any changes to practice at all? And have you got a copy of the setting's last Ofsted inspection and SEF?

Guest TinklePrincess

I'm not sure to be honest. I have EYPS but the setting's current EYP is on maternity leave at the moment and they're unsure as to whether she'll return, so I presume I'll be taking on the role for now, as they seemed excited about it at my interview, but my official title and salary will just be team leader/senior NN...

I've already got quite a few ideas regarding possible changes, after only a brief tour, but I don't want to step on the EYP's toes if she does return (that's probably for another topic!)

I've read through the Ofsted report but I think they're due for another inspection pretty soon

Hi TinklePrincess

Don't forget the revised EYFS is still new to everybody. Its been around for a little while but we've only been working with it for a month, so you're not far behind. We're definitely still finding our feet and tweeking things at my setting...and will be for a while.

Best of luck next week.

Beehive

Yes I would agree with Beehive - we are all still getting to grips with it all :1b

Good luck with your new position and don't forget to let us know how it's going :1b

Oh and most importantly never ever feel that you have to say 'sorry' when asking a question - I can't tell you how many times someone has posed a question here and I have thought - 'oh yes I need to know that too'! :D

• Like 2

Guest TinklePrincess

Thank you everyone!

I guess I'll just jump in the deep end and hope for the best! What's the worst that can happen?

I feel so much better that it's not just me - gives me a little more hope!

I'll keep you updated ^_^

Our early years advisors said 'Don't throw the baby out with the bath water.' Basically it is still about good practice. You will be fine and as someone said we are all getting to grips with it. We were also told not to throw out the old EYFS docs as there were still some good things in there .....especially the Principles into Practice cards.

Hi,

I agree with everything already said! Especially the bit about not worrying about asking questions!!!

DON'T throw out your old stuff; the PIPS cards (Principles Into Practice) are still valid, as are the resources on the CD Rom. Birth to Three material has come back into favour, largely to make newer practitioners aware of some of the excellent information etc contained there. Sue, bless her, has uploaded it all on the site if you don't have access to it.

And really don't worry about the new EYFS, it's not so very different from the old!

Good luck,

Sue

• 4 weeks later...

I really wouldnt worry if your confused with the revised EYFS as it was very confusing to me and i have been working in a pre-school using eyfs for past 3 years and am only just getting used to it. I was under the impression that their would be less work and more play but they were wrong as you have specific and prime area's and also have to link to areas of development and also the characteristics. Dont worry you will soon be able to do it. Also its new having to link to age of development. Also having to complete the seperate one for 2 year olds.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. (Privacy Policy)