Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Outdoor Play - Coats for Grown-Ups!

Guest TinklePrincess

Guest TinklePrincess

Hi all!

As some of you might be aware, I've just accepted a job as a senior practitioner and EYP at a private day nursery.

The setting has a great outdoor area, complete with chickens and lots of veggies etc, so naturally, the children love being outside. I can't say that outdoor play is my favourite thing to do during the winter so I was looking for a new coat that would keep me nice and toasty.

I obviously need a waterproof but my current one is basically just a little mac, there's no warmth other than it's that horrible waterproof fabric that makes you sweat profusely (tmi? sorry!) I was looking for something like a North Face one but without the £200+ pricetag as I haven't even started my job yet!

Does anyone have any suggestions? What do you wear? I have a couple of coats but they're not waterproof and as they're nice wool ones, I don't want to be shelling out for dry claning every couple of weeks!

I have 3 at nursery at the moment!! :blink:

A shower proof fleecy lined one with the school logo on which amuses the children as several have the same!

A waterproof one with a zip out lfleece. It was around £40 but I bought a new one for at home and took the 'old' one to work.

A completely waterproof jacket with sealed seams etc and matching waterproof trousers which was £15 for the set on Amazon. I used the jacket lots in our wet summer, and the trousers have been brill for rain, snow and wind with any jacket!

I also have hats ( winter and sun), gloves, fingerless gloves with a fold over flap (can't write in gloves!), scarf, spare socks, wellies and wellie socks!!

Reading it back it sounds like a polar expedtion not nursery!! :rolleyes:

• Like 2

If you've got a TK MAXX in your area they have really good outdoor coats for a fraction of the price in the shops. :1b

I got a Sprayway from there for £25 its kept me dry as a bone the only thing is its not fleece lined so chilly when its cold (but will fit one underneath) but great if your running around and its chucking it down you don't get too hot!! I've had it for years and years still in mint condition!!

I got a great coat from Aldi last year , waterproof with detachable fleece - really good and very warm and dry - we just bought all staff a fleece for outdoors-for dryer days-Sainsburys £8 ( hoping to get setting logo embroidered ( we are on a budget) and have a couple of adult waterproofs too for staff to use

Guest TinklePrincess

Some great ideas, thank you everyone! I think I'll wait and see if my new job has their own as part of the uniform. If not, I'll just buy myself a cheap one to leave there!