Home
Forum
Articles
About Us
Tapestry

Managers Pay

zigzag

I am a playleader who has just taken on the named person responsibility. Basically I do everything to do with the group except finances as we have an admin lady who does this. So in effect my role is most definitly of a manager and yet I only get paid 90p more than the unqualified assistant who does her assistant job during session time and no more than that( she is not a key worker, does no planning or prep etc) My question is I think I should be given a pay rise to reflect what I do. We are REALLY well off, have a good savings account and a very healthy current account. Would I be in the right to ask for a decent pay rise??

I know a lot of groups are finding finances difficult and a lot of places cannot afford pay increases, but as I said we are really well off. I dont want to appear greedy, but I work jolly hard and long hours because I really care about the place My hourly rate is £7.90.

Would love to hear your comments and will duck and dodge bullets if need be!!!

90p more per hour is pathetic - you should list all of the jobs you do and the hours extra you probably put in unpaid and take them to a meeting to discuss your pay. The better prepared you are in justifying why you should be paid more the more likely you will get the increase

I think you definately have grounds to discuss your rate of pay, and agree with Rachael1820 that by writing a list of the tasks you undertake will provide good evidence of why you deserve more :1b

Without going into actual figures, i pay my managers £4.50 per hour more than our qualified nursery nurses and they receive £6.10 per hour more than our unqualified assistants.

Hope that helps!

I think you definately have grounds to discuss your rate of pay, and agree with Rachael1820 that by writing a list of the tasks you undertake will provide good evidence of why you deserve more :1b

Without going into actual figures, i pay my managers £4.50 per hour more than our qualified nursery nurses and they receive £6.10 per hour more than our unqualified assistants.

Hope that helps!

Wow! Your nursery nurses are on to a good thing with you. We could no way pay all our staff £12+ per

hour.

I think it depends what sort of setting you are in. Managers rates vary hugely dependant on the setting voluntary settings tend to pay less for managers than private settings, though assistant rates seem to be more equal.

Edited by Jeany

Wow! Your nursery nurses are on to a good thing with you. We could no way pay all our staff £12+ per hour.

uummmm maybe i didnt explain that properly! Nursery nurses dont earn more than £12 ph!

To clarify: Managers earn £4.50 more than NN's and £6.10 more than NA's.

However, i must say that i owe the success of my nursery to my staff, if i didnt have them i wouldn't be as successful in business. Therefore i give them every penny i can afford, they are worth it!!

• Like 1

uummmm maybe i didnt explain that properly! Nursery nurses dont earn more than £12 ph!

To clarify: Managers earn £4.50 more than NN's and £6.10 more than NA's.

However, i must say that i owe the success of my nursery to my staff, if i didnt have them i wouldn't be as successful in business. Therefore i give them every penny i can afford, they are worth it!!

I see I was going to ask if you had any vacancies, lol. I agree that good staff deserve to be rewarded. It is a shame that the powers that be don't appear to understand this and increase funding.

• Like 1

Hi everyone I hope it is ok to tag a question on to this thread!

I have just asked the committee if they would be willing to play me a nominal fee towards the bigger admin jobs that I do. Essentially we are charity run and money is tight, but I give up working a paid session every week to do admin which is then unpaid. Apart from the fact that in the past the play leaders did get some money towards this so not really sure why I never have, but also despite the claims that there is less paperwork we all know that that isn't true!!! so I haven't asked for everything just something towards the bigger jobs that take a long time and carry a lot of responsibility.

The committee have asked if I could get some examples of how other managers get paid and what jobs are within their remit. Would anyone be willing to share this information even if its in a private message?

thank you

Well my wage is £7.90 per hour. I do everything except the finances as we have an admin lady. That includes admissions, planning, all staff supervision, apprasails, displays, key worker, policies, safeguarding person, cleaning, just about everything really. I work in the group four mornings and have paid time the other morning to do admin (this has just started this school year) I have started being paid for more of my hours now but there is still a lot that I do unpaid (beacuse I love my job)

Just to update you on my original post I have now written a letter to the committee aking for a raise and explaining why...I will let you know of any updates!!!

Well my wage is £7.90 per hour. I do everything except the finances as we have an admin lady. That includes admissions, planning, all staff supervision, apprasails, displays, key worker, policies, safeguarding person, cleaning, just about everything really. I work in the group four mornings and have paid time the other morning to do admin (this has just started this school year) I have started being paid for more of my hours now but there is still a lot that I do unpaid (beacuse I love my job)

Just to update you on my original post I have now written a letter to the committee aking for a raise and explaining why...I will let you know of any updates!!!

thank you Zigzag that was really helpful. I am on £7.50 I knew I wouldn't get a raise when I completed by BA hons degree but thought they may go for paying for some of the bigger jobs that keep coming my way :ph34r: I think they are just trying to get a feel for what other managers do and what they get paid so they know what would be reasonable for me!

I seem to be doing better than most then! I am on £9.25/hour, with everyone else on £6.75. Deputies on the same as the others, but get my hourly rate if they cover for me (when I'm on courses etc.) I am also paid for 4 hours per week for paperwork, as I am in ratio all day every day! We have an admin lady who deals with pay and sends out invoices (although in reality I tell her what to put!) I also have a salary enhancement for EYPS.

thank you so much for being willing to share everyone could I also ask if anyone has a rough estimate of how long the spend on admin? my problem I have never logged the time just got on with it and don't have time to make a log now but want to make a realistic estimate again just wondered if anyone had an idea on what they spend

• 2 weeks later...

I am paid just over £3 more than the NVQ 3 nursery nurses. We would love to pay more for our staff but just cannot afford it. What is the going rate generally? We pay £6.50 an hour for an NVQ 3 (or equiv) nursery nurse. (I am in Somerset)

Edited by Mollieben

I am paid just over £3 more than the NVQ 3 nursery nurses. We would love to pay more for our staff but just cannot afford it. What is the going rate generally? We pay £6.50 an hour for an NVQ 3 (or equiv) nursery nurse. (I am in Somerset)

well not sure of the 'going' rate but since I started this thread I have had a pay rise to £8.50 an hour so I am very chuffed :D it wont be pay for everything I do still but it is a start.

• Like 3